Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware on old Windows XP SP2 inhibts automatic upgrade to SP3?

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Did you try changing the letters?

Can you put the stick in your Win 7 PC and then look on the stick for any files in \ that are called: autorun.inf or desktop.ini Copy them and then zip them up and attach them.

Advertisements

Phom

Phom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Changing the drive letter did not change the behavior. The same error message occurred. There is an autorun.inf, but no desktop.ini. It is appended.

Attached File  autorun.zip   177bytes   89 downloads

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
That Autorun.inf file does not look complete. I doubt it would install on a new PC. Probably only works on your other one because it has already been installed. Do you know anyone with the same stick? It would help to have a copy of their autorun.inf.

Let's see what other files are on the stick in the \ folder. In the following I assume the stick is drive F: as an example. You will need to use the correct letter.

Open a command prompt:

Start, All Programs, Accessories, (Vista or Win 7,right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue. XP just select Command Prompt) Type with an Enter after each line:

F:

dir  /a  /s  >  c:\junk.txt

notepad  c:\junk.txt

copy and paste or attach if it's really big the text from c:\junk.txt

Phom

Phom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I can show the content of th eISB stick, but if I try to save the directory in junk.txt, the system refuses stating that I am not allowed to do so, even as administrator.

I manually copied the content. The directory shows four files

4g.ico 56,000, autorun.inf 62, PN.txt 14, XSManagerinstallation.exe ~13,000,000

Vol. Nr 1B33-70D3

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Attached is autorun.zip. Download on your Win 7 PC, Save then right click on autorun.zip and Extract All. Copy the file autorun.ini to the stick and overwrite the existing autorun.ini. Now move the stick to your XP. Does anything happen?

Alternatively you can just edit the autorun.inf file yourself on the Win 7 PC. Just make it look like this:

;; Autorun.inf for 4G
;; XS Stick W21
[autorun]
open=XSManagerinstallation.exe
icon=4g.ico

Phom

Phom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I will do. But would this autorun not imply, that every time the installation routine is started? Maybe I should try this autorun only once and then return to the old one, if the stick then works.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
It could be that the installation routine removes the install program after the first use. If not you can do it since you now know how.

Phom

Phom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I was not able to change autorun pn the stick. It refuses to accept my changes because of missing permission.
Furthermore, I tried to use my older UMTS stick on. It did run fine in the past, but now shows the same error as the new one. SO there seems to be a general problem not restricted to the new UMTS stick.

Nevertheless, a Seagate portable external harddrive starts with an autorun search when connected via USB. I also deleted alls USB drives and let install them anew but this did not change anything.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Take ownership and give yourself Full Control.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Phom

Phom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I cannot take control. Theis is no securtiy tab on the autorun.inf information. It is a read-only file. It is open to everybody. Thge stick is CDFS formatted, but I cannot get access to it.

Advertisements