Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External Hard Drive Fix

• Please log in to reply

Wish4

Wish4

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Hitachi Touro Mobile external hard drive and would like to completely clear it of everything. I know the last time I backed-up there were 5 security issues on my computer which Malwarebytes and Norton 360 detected and removed or quarantined the threats. Since that was discovered, I'd like to know how to erase my external hard drive and safely run a new backup using it.

Hope this is the right place to post this. Since it was a security issue which involved a Trojan that was detected, I posted it here.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If you are now free of virus' and malware then simply right click on the external drive in Disk Management and in the box that opens click Delete Partition.

This will leave an unallocated space.

You then need to right click on the unallocated space and click Create Partition.

This will then ask you if you want to Format the partition in either FAT32 or NTFS, choose NTFS.

Done.

Wish4

Wish4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you very much for your response. I'm believing and hoping all the threats were removed and taken care of properly by Norton and Malwarebytes Pro. This is a new computer running Windows 8, and I've only had it for 2 months. I knew something was wrong when my computer started doing a few weird things. At the time, I hadn't yet downloaded Malwarebytes, and I was transitioning from Kaspersky (trial version installed) to Norton 360. That's when a few things started misbehaving. Microsoft helped to completely uninstall Kaspersky, and was then able to download Norton 360. After performing a Full Scan with both Malwarebytes and Norton 360, was how I became aware of the threats. The only problem I still experience is Norton 360 Full System scan stalling on 2 different Microsoft Xbox game apps that are being scanned. I've posted on the Norton community forums but can't seem to find any answers as to what causes this. It's a definite conflict between the Norton Scan and the Microsoft apps for those 2 games. The stalling only occurs when I scan after playing those games. If I haven't played the Xbox games and scan, it runs smoothly and completes. I'll be contacting Microsoft and find out what the problem is that's causing this. They hopefully will know but I wouldn't bet on it.

Again, I appreciate your feedback and the time you took to offer it.

Edited by Wish4, 31 January 2013 - 05:58 PM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're welcome :)