Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP address question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Mlsmith23

Mlsmith23

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Long and short of it. I am running a gateway with windows 8 and an iPad.

I was recently made as a read only member of a particular forum I frequent (note to self don't discuss gun control :). I can open a separate account with a new name however the site does track user ip addresses to try an insure this doesn't happen. I have time Warner as my Internet service provider but I also have a wireless modem from verizon for a laptop. I have never accessed the forum with the wireless modem from verizon, having only used the time Warner. If I disable the connection to my time Warner Internet on my computer and use the verizon connection will I have a new IP address even if I'm using the same computer? Thank you for your help in advance.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Missmith and welcome to Geeks To Go

I don't think it would be very prudent of G2G to offer advice on how to bypass what seems to amount to restricted access to the site in question.

I would suggest that you contact that sites Admin to discuss the matter further.

Mlsmith23

Mlsmith23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh sorry. I didn't mean to break any rules.

Please let me rephrase the question then. If I use the same computer on two different Internet connections will that same computer also have two different ip addresses?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Here's a scenario ok.

You have a desktop PC that is hard wired (ethernet cable) to a router or even wireless for that matter.

You also have a wireless laptop that connects to the same router.

Both connect to your ISP with the same IP that is set by your ISP.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
here's the other part of the scenario, when a member of staff here tells you you're asking a question that we can't answer because it's against the terms of use you agreed to when you joined this site, it means we can't help you. rephrasing the question doesn't fix the problem.

we will not help you get around a ban or any other policy of another website or network. plain and simple.

either find another forum (like the one you got banned from) to hang out at, or start pleading with their administrators to lift the restrictions.