Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Serious Windows Error"

• Please log in to reply

Jhazon

Jhazon

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
My power went out and upon restart, PC went into a DOS loading screen, showing much of the hardware in the PC, with the last couple likes say something to the effect of loading from disk or boot from disk (as if to say it should be booting from a CD)... after a third try, Windows loaded properly but gave me the following "serious error" windows...

Posted Image

Window XP

...over the last week, I've had issues with restarts not loading to Windows properly, sometimes sticking on the intial DOS start up screen. Any thoughts on a resolving this issue would be great

Advertisements

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
No one??

Today, my desktop is not loading to Windows XP... 1) it will either stick on the dos start up screen, memory check or 2)got to a screen that will say "PCI Device Listing...." and then "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." which will be followed by "Boot from CD".

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I was able to load Windows via Safe Mode, and then a short time later, complete a restart which successfully loaded Windows... which then gave me the error message from my first post, on those two files. So now the PC is working again but I am certain a shutdown/restart will likely give me a similar issue. Please... please... any insight would be appreciated.

This only PC was originally built back in 2004 so I got my money's worth... hate to think it might be time for a replacement and Win8.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry we missed you initial post on the 31st.

Sounds like file corruption to me, caused by power going out in the middle of a write to the hard drive.

Open the Run box: Click Start then Run, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter.

You will get message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Enter Y then reboot. Let chkdsk run to completion. Can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive. See if that fixes the problem.

Note: The /r option of chkdsk does the following:

Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information
(implies /F, when /scan not specified).