Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't read or write to CDRW

• Please log in to reply

rorymac

rorymac

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently had to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition. (Don't ask why). Before the reinstall my CDRW drive worked fine. After reinstall Windows recognises the drive is there (and correctly recognises the model etc), but thinks it is empty. Don't think drive turns or anything. Won't read, Won't write. Is this a driver issue?

I have tried various things including: (1) uninstall drive and reboot; (2) tweaking in device manager on DMA or PIO mode. (3) Completely unplugging drive and installing from scratch.

For info, on the same IDE cable I have a CD-ROM drive and that is working fine.

I read somewhere that I shouldn't need a specific driver as these are provided by Microsoft. Is this right? Anyway, according to Device Manager, the driver currently assigned to this drive is version 5.1.2535.0, a Microsoft Driver from 1/7/2001 - the same as the driver on my CD-ROM.

I'm confused.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No I don't think its a driver issue and you are correct that windows installes the the MS driver and thats all that is needed. seeing as you unistalled and reinstalled it should be working not much more you can do with the driver.

Try a different power plug coming off the power supply

Rick

rorymac

rorymac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Doby. I confess I was sceptical - I did a software thing so why should a hardware tweak fix it?

But I'm getting desperate so I tried. It didn't work. :tazz:

Meanwhile I've tried manually installing the various other CD-ROM drivers available in XP. Still to no avail.

Any other ideas?? HELP!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I had a similar issue with a cdrw once could not figuar it out finally reinstalled windows and that fixed it but that was not after a clean install.

Can you boot from the drive?
if so I would ask over in software they will know what to do

Rick

Astrotrain

Astrotrain

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Who makes your CD-RW drive?

rorymac

rorymac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Drive is a Philips drive - PCRW5232P. As I said it worked find before the reinstall.

And Rick, in answer to your question, I can't boot from it. How interesting. Does the following make any difference to your thoughts? My mobo is an Intel D845GBV. After reinstalling Windows I also had to reinstall the various Intel drivers. Could I have read somewhere there is an Intel issue around the PIO/DMA stuff?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I don't know about the DMA stuff but if you can't boot from it then that leaves windows out of it its a bad drive or cable. When you try and boot from it the boot disk will load a generic set of drivers that work with about everthing. Some dvd cdr combos have trouble with the generic driver but most cdrw don't.

Rick

Astrotrain

Astrotrain

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Your not the only one:

http://64.233.179.10...P&hl=en&start=2

As a result a suggestion was to update the firmware of the drive. But before doing
so, I would recommend changing the cable and if possible putting the drive into
another PC and give it a try.

rorymac

rorymac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, what can I say. Tried to upgrade firmware - but impossible to find.

Did the force aspi thing and that made no difference.

So I bought a new drive. Problem solved!!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I thought maybe the drive was just bad

origami

origami

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
At school we're having the same problem with drive type 5.1.2535.0 it won't seem to write. we need to be able to write so that we can bring some projects home. please help!

innocent_boy

innocent_boy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Can anyone provide the firmware? I can't find one at Philips homepage. I have the same problem ;) :tazz:

beltman713

beltman713

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was having the same problem on windows 2000 sp4. Could save files to a cdrw disk, but after a format and reinstall of the operating system, I could no longer burn files to any cdrw disk. I tried everything, but nothing would work. Then I found this utilty on download.com.

Go to the link below on download.com to get aspi drivers. The file is a self extracting archive. Once you extract it to your hard drive, run the aspi detection utility. It will tell you weather you have the correct aspi drivers, or none at all, on you computer. If not, you can run the installer.

http://www.download....8-10219041.html

Edited by beltman713, 22 July 2005 - 07:49 PM.