Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fans spin for 0.5 seconds and stop. System Not booting.

• Please log in to reply

Pyrotec

Pyrotec

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Have tried to replace PSU with a new one and same thing happens.

System is two years old. Switched off without warning while sending email. Then no response on attempt to boot up other than described. No sounds.

Do i buy new motherboard or chip?

Motherboard is Asus P8 H67-M EVO with intel i5 CPU. Corsair XMS3 DDR3 2x4Gb.

Many thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
:welcome: Pyrotec

Can you tell us the following please;

What are the brand and model name or number of the original and the new PSU.
Are you using the CPUs integrated graphics or an add on video card.
If add on video card provide the brand and model name or number details of the card.
How many HDDs and DVD/CD drives do you have.

Pyrotec

Pyrotec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Original psu is corsair TX650W. I bought a new corsair CX500W and the effect was the same so am taking it back.

I should say that fans only spin if PSU has been hard switched off and the on again with the back psu switch. After the first attempt to switch pc on, further attempts do not even spin the fans at all. The standby power LEDlight on mobo does light and then fades after a couple of minutes.

Cpu is integrated graphics.
DVD is external via USB.
3 SATA HDDs.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Thanks for the additional information :thumbsup:

For testing purposes only can you disconnect the 3 HDDs, optical drive and remove both sticks of Ram, power on the machine (it will not boot obviously) and let us know if there is any change in any way please.

NB: While you are inside the case check the power on button and associated wires that connect to the header on the MB, and look for any bared/loose wires or stray screws that could be causing a system short circuit.

Mavasilisk

Mavasilisk

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
When it happened to my it was because the PSU wattage was low (350W) so I bough a new one 500W and it runs just fine now. You cant be sure its not the PSU cuz you exchanged it with a lower-wattage one. Try with 1 stick of ram, 1 HDD attached and switch to the integrated video card.

kenta09

kenta09

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Almost sure that's an issue with the MoBo voltage regulator...

Pyrotec

Pyrotec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for replies guys.

Carried out all checks philpower2. Still nothing....is it time to buy new mobo?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
I checked the user manual for the MB but did not see an onboard speaker that emits a single beep when POST has successfully completed, does your MB have an internal speaker and if so do you normally hear a single beep when POST completes but now you get nothing even with the Ram removed http://www.poweronselftest.com/

Before you replace the MB I suggest that you do a barebones set-up outside of the case, see canned text below;

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card (if present) the screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.

Other things worth checking include, check for stray screws or bared wires that may cause a short, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing and make sure that the CPU fan connection is securely in place