Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new system build

• Please log in to reply

peterrex

peterrex

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Hello again.
Now it's time for the rebuild of the computer that "died" while I was in Europe in April. I am now wondering if it's the power supply all this time.
Anyway, here goes:
The chassis now has an Abit AN8 mobo and an AMD64 3500 cpu. Everything else is as before and I have (to the best of my knowledge and ability)followed all the connectors for the chassis to the mobo. I reformatted the C drive (SATA #1) and fired it up. For a moment. Lights and a fan did come on but only one of the digital readouts in the POST led lit up. I turned it off as it would not respond to the front pwr switch.
Well, I was having some of these same issues with the previous mobo the AN7 that I pulled. I couldn't turn it off except from the back either though the two led lights for the POST did come on, they didn't count anything.
I am wondering if this is either a faulty powersupply all this time or if I have not correctly set up all the connectors and so on on from the chassis to the mobo. This is a virgin system but has the ATI 9600 graphics card and no others at this time. What do you think? Whaere shall I turn? Thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Ok, this sounds really familiar. I would double check, no triple check and make sure you have the connections that lead from the from case lights to the mobo hooked up correctly, if at all possible, follow the diagram that came with your mobo. If you dont have the diagram that explains where each specific pin is connected then go online and look up the specs for your board to get the info you need. Now, from what I've read, the only problem your having is that the font on/off button on the case isn't working. Is this correct or is there somthing else wrong as well?

--Chris

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I had to pay someone to troubleshoot because Iwent out of town and I was in a hurry. He called to tell me one of the memory modules had gone bad and so was the power supply. I guess in the previous incarnation there had been a power surge that took out the mobo a ram stick (but not both?) and the power supply! Well I overlooked the power supply (duh) this time, I just couldn't really believe it was something as obvious and simple. But then again it usually is isn;t it?
So, I'll be back if I have any installation troubles this time. Thanks for all your help though. You guys are really great!