Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

i ended up finally building my pc..

• Please log in to reply

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey lads first up my apologies for not getting back sooner then i should of things have been a bit hectic.

when we last spoke the sandy bridges were still in and i was tossing up between an amd fx8150 or intel 2600k with various other parts.

i ended up waiting and saving my money and got the new ivy bridge cpu.. my new build is :

case: antec 900
cpu: intel i7 3770k 3.5 ghz with stock cooling fan
ram: 2x 8gb ram
gpu: asus 2gb 7850 pci-e vga card
mb: asus p8 z77-m pro
drive: lg blu ray burner
hdd: 1tb seagate
ssd: 64gb oc-z agility 4
psu: 620w antec eco

it runs good and i love it.. However.

i am keen as to upgrade my ssd for more room and buy another 2x 8gb ram slots.. do a fresh install of windows and then start looking at this eyefinity thing if i can do it..

I have 1x hd 2x Mini display ports and 1x dvi on the graphics card.. i have a dvi, vga and hd slot on my motherboard. how can i hook the 3 screens up? just a hd cable from the graphics card to 1 tv and then 2x mini display to hd cables going to the other 2 tvs? how can i go about it?

Do i need a program for eyefinity?? im very new to it. but most of all will my pc hack it playing eyefinity?? would i need to overclock my cpu or gpu to be able to play well across 3 screens i understand if i have to upgrade my psu if i was to do some hardcore clocking? the box for my gpu says it can do 6 screens but thats a bit over board.

i wouldnt be looking at another gpu would i to have max graphics on 3 screens? the screens are quite big around the 42 inch mark.. my monitor i use all the time is a 42" plasma and it runs fine on this but im unsure of how it will go on all 3

i was hoping to use these adapter for the mini display ports
http://www.ebay.com....=item2a153f507b

Edited by Thenewbloke, 03 February 2013 - 04:42 AM.

Advertisements

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Also should i buy an aftermarket cooler for the cpu or dont bother??

also if anyone here owns an antec 900 case how did you go about good cable management??

Edited by Thenewbloke, 03 February 2013 - 04:23 AM.

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Freshman

• GeekU Freshman
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
Hey there,

I have an Antec 900 case as well and a similar computer hardware setup. The fans in the case all run directly off of the PSU cables. Basically I used one of the cables dedicated solely to the front case fans (I tucked them in the front section in between the HDs). For the top and back fans I used the cable that powers the DVD drive.

As far as an aftermarket cooler, from what I've read, it's not a good idea because it will void your CPU warranty. If you are planning on overclocking the CPU though, depending on how hot you system gets, you may need one.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Hi.
Some reading for you that will answer some of your questions.
> http://www.wsgf.org/...d-eyefinity-faq
> http://www.amd.com/u...ges/set-up.aspx
> http://www.overclock...ity-info-thread
I will snaser your other question laterr.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

i am keen as to upgrade my ssd for more room and buy another 2x 8gb ram slots..

8GB of RAM, is more than enough for a gaming rig, you installed 16GB is good for a home enthusiast performing fairly heavy Photo/video editing. More RAM would be a total waste of $$$, your system would not perform one iota better.
Upgrading your SSD, going to 120GB. I still consider this a little on the small side, as prices have now com down quite a bit recently for a new build I am specifying 250GB. In your case you would end up with a Spare SSD that is not very useful.
Consider installing a 1TB Spinpoint for the OS/Programs with the SSD as a catch disk. This article is from last year, but still relevant,
> http://www.extremete...orsair-face-off
You can further increase performance by "choking" the spinpoint. This means creating a 500GB partition at the start of the drive and leaving the rest as unallocated space. This confines usage to the fastest part of the drive and it still ends up big enough for almost any system.

What are your thoughts now on gaming on three screens?

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for the reply fellas...

Ill stay away from more ram.. its made clear i have more then enough :)

i.wasnt up for overclocking my pc runs 24/7 pretty much it might get shutdown for one night out of the week.. i live in a tiny tin shed at the back of my folks and it gets up to 45degrees celcius in the summer sometimes hotter. i just wanna make sure she stays cool.

i did not know that about creating thepartitions

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for the reply fellas...

Ill stay away from more ram.. its made clear i have more then enough :)

i.wasnt up for overclocking my pc runs 24/7 pretty much it might get shutdown for one night out of the week.. i live in a tiny tin shed at the back of my folks and it gets up to 45degrees celcius in the summer sometimes hotter. i just wanna make sure she stays cool.

i did not know that about creating thepartitions
ill have to look into it more.. i will consider the 250gb ssd as u said prices have gone down i cant complain with more room.. Would it be worth installing only my os on the 250gb then my games on my spare 64gb and then prograns and everything on the internal 1tb

im planning to sort of have a game night.. and thought id give eyefinity a go neither me or my mates have experienced it and i thought id drag a few tvs out of the house and go for it.. my pc wont hack it will it?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Would it be worth installing only my os on the 250gb then my games on my spare 64gb and then prograns and everything on the internal 1tb

That would be a bit messy. 250GB is big enough to have your OS/programs and games installed. You would have your DATA files on the 1TB and I would us the 64GB SSD for backups.

and thought id give eyefinity a go neither me or my mates have experienced it and i thought id drag a few tvs out of the house and go for it.. my pc wont hack it will it?

Not a good idea. You will have all sorts of compatibility problems with cabling. TVs are not very suitable for Eyeinfinity and me, being a spoilsport, you might drop one, then your parents may be upset.

Could you and your mates find out it there is a store or show that you can get to where you can see/try/ Eyeinfinity. Make it a day out.