Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs keep crashing, Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

TMayfi

TMayfi

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for any help in advance!

Running windows 7 on a laptop. Been experiencing issues with programs crashing on a routine basis - they stall and then say "aren't responding" and it ends up forcing me to shut down the computer and restart it. Unfortunately, I had some family members who were using my computer without my knowledge, so I don't know what they might have done to it... Thanks!

I have avira antivirus installed, typically use chrome for the internet if that helps any.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Hello TMayfi

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

TMayfi

TMayfi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi Phillpower2 and thank you for your assistance.

Here is the url from PCPitstop.
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25225475

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Thanks for the url :thumbsup:

Apart from the warning about the battery there is nothing of concern showing, there is a chance that your HDD needs a tidy up so can you do the following for us please so that I can make the appropriate suggestion/s;

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

TMayfi

TMayfi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello again! Here is the screen shot you requested. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Unfortunately your screenshot is not showing us all of the information that we need, can you expand the page and get rid of the Actions panel to the right so that we can see all of the HDD information, thanks.

Also worth a mention is that you should have your OS on a separate partition to that which you store data on as this reduces the risk of the OS becoming damaged/corrupt.

TMayfi

TMayfi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Okay, round 2... let's see if this is what you want. :happy:

And be forewarned - you are communicating with a complete novice. This is a laptop that I was given from a family member with everything already installed, so I don't know what you mean by having the OS on a separate partition. I can tell you that I don't have the windows disk he used - but I do really appreciate all your help!

Attached Thumbnails

• screeenshot2.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Thanks no problems with the amount of free space on the HDD :thumbsup:

A fair bit for you to do now and as it is nearly midnight here in the UK I will be going offline shortly but will check back tomorrow, I will also explain a little more about partitions however do not worry about this for now;

My next suggestion is to tidy up the data on your HDD so please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.
Couple of other things to consider are what size HDD do you have and how much free storage space is available, you should always have between 12 and 15% of the overall capacity available, do not have more than 1 AV program running as it causes slowness as the programs fight for control of system resources, this can lead to instability and/or crashes/
What AV do you use, some use a lot more system resources than others Norton and AVG are excellent but very demanding.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box
then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your anti virus software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

TMayfi

TMayfi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi again... thanks for being patient! I installed the defrag and ran it. Unfortunately, now when I try to start Windows, it will load, but then doesn't allow me to actually do anything. I am currently in safe mode, which allows me to at least connect and respond. Is there anything else I can try?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Hi TMayfi

now when I try to start Windows, it will load, but then doesn't allow me to actually do anything.

Can you tell us a little more as in is the screen frozen on the windows logo or were you not able to open any files as two examples.

The fact that you can use the computer in Safe Mode may suggest that there is a driver issue, can you check the Device Manager for any items that may have a yellow ! or red X against them.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Advertisements

TMayfi

TMayfi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Device manager: I have a yellow ! on the laptop and another yellow ! on the printer I connect with to print from this laptop. I tried running troubleshooter on both items, but I get the message that "troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem".

When it comes to the freezing - I enter my password, and Windows loads. I can see everything on my desktop, the computer connects to the internet, etc. But if you try to click on anything (programs, start menu, task bar items, etc), the computer just hangs there and won't do anything. At that point, I can only shut down using the power button.

I can use safe mode to connect so I can see this post (thank goodness!) and I can run programs in safe mode.

Hope that helps!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Can you take a screenshot of your Device Manager (full window) and attach it to your next reply please;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

TMayfi

TMayfi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I restarted again in safe mode, and when I went to device manager, it doesn't look like what I was looking at before - I think I ended up somewhere else. Anyhow, here is the screen shot of my device manager. I am headed off to work so I won't be able to post again until late tonight. Thanks again!
screenshot.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
No worries reply when you are able to and thanks for the screenshot which shows no problems :thumbsup:

Have you done steps 1, 2 and 4 as suggested, if not please do so when you can.

Do you have a Windows 7 installation disk or system restore disks in case you need to do a Repair Installation of your operating system, this option preserves your personal data so do not worry about losing anything.

TMayfi

TMayfi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Here is the Autoruns -
Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   38.82KB   199 downloads