Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help With Laptop Repair

• Please log in to reply

johnhudd

johnhudd

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron N5010 laptop that won't work. When I start it, it gets past the POST screen, (I think that's what it's called), in about one second, then goes to a blank screen. It eventually loads startup repair, but can't fix itself automatically. I can't bring up diagnostics with F12. The laptop may have been dropped, but I'm not sure, and I was told it's probably an HDD error. I took the laptop apart, and reinstalled the HDD (the warranty is already expired), but then it wouldn't load the startup repair, at least I don't think it would because I waited a long time. So I put the OS disc in the drive and chose to boot from disc, but it just loaded the startup repair and told me it can't fix the problem automatically. Here are the errors:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 1: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 2: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 3: unknown
Problem Signature 4: 13
Problem Signature 5: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 6: 1
Problem Signature 7: NoOsInstalled
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.7
locale ID: 1033

Is this a hard drive problem? If it is then can I replace the hard drive? If not sure, then how can I test the hard drive to make sure it's the problem?
Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
If there is no data on the HDD that you would like to try and secure;

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;
Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the CD bootable.

If there is important data on the HDD let us know before you test the HDD as the test is designed to stress the HDD which can result in a flaky drive failing mechanically.

johnhudd

johnhudd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I used the drivers, utilities, and diagnostics disc to run tests on the HDD, and it showed several errors. Then I opened up command prompt and used chkdsk a few times. I then reinserted the os disc and it was able to boot from disc. I chose upgrade windows when the os disc launched, and I was able get into windows, and all my old files where put into a windows.old file. The resolution was low, and everything seemed really wide. I hooked up to the internet via cable and installed 139 updates, now the laptop seems to be as good as new. Everything was wiped clean except for the old files in the folder. The only thing I cant do is connect to wireless internet. It wont show any available hot spots, and it say the wirless driver is not installed. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
My biggest concern is that the hdd is not really fixed, so I shouldn't be trying to use the laptop, although everything seems to be working fine, except I can't boot without the os disc in, even though it saved all the windows updates.
how can I get the wireless internet connection to work?
Is it safe to use the laptop, and how can I check to see if the hdd is fixed or if it's still bad?
How can I boot windows without the disc in?
thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
What type of errors were reported software or mechanical such as bad sectors on the HDD, this will determine if the HDD can be trusted or not.

Got to ask but have you checked that the wireless switch has not been turned off while you have been working on the notebook.

Did you install the drivers in the correct order as Dell computers can be problematic if you don`t http://support.dell....4&isLegacy=true

Have you checked the boot sequence in the BIOS and if so what is the present order please.

johnhudd

johnhudd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
There were multiple errors:
HDD diagnostics

error code OFOO:1332
msg:DISK-Block 946:Interrupt Request (IRQ) did not set in time

Then the same with different numbers:
OFOO:0632
OFOO:0232
OFOO:0432
OFOO:1232

I don't think there is a physical switch; I think it's F2 and it wont work. I checked the drivers and it seems to be missing
I don't think I manually installed the drivers, at least not intentionally
Im not sure what the boot sequence is or how to use it

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
The error message/s suggest that the HDD has serious problems and needs replacing.

For checking the wireless set-up see pages 14, 15 and 16 http://support.euro....en/sg/sg_en.pdf

To check or change Boot Sequence in your BIOS;

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the appropriate button that allows you to access the BIOS (Del – F2 - F8 etc)
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to DVD/ CD drive first.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit.
Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.