Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

14 copies of Rundll32.exe in my prefetch? [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

katvonb28

katvonb28

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I swear by this site because Im a computer killer lol so here goes

My pc was running really slow, had one of your AWESOME mods on here help me out and all was well. Its still running a bit slow but today I opened my task manager and saw Rundll32.exe running randomly so I searched it and found 14 copies of it in my prefetch folder and they are all pf files? There are 2 at the very bottom (So technically I have 16 copies but the last two are little page icons and one is in systems32 and the other is in service pack. So Im wondering are the other 14 rookits or some sort? Help!

PS: Essex boy rocks!

Edited by katvonb28, 04 February 2013 - 02:35 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
There is no reall concern about the files in the prefetch folder, you can delete them with no ill effect

Is that your only problem at this stage ?

katvonb28

katvonb28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well that and my pc is running reaaaaallly slow. Since you had me do the steps last time I can run my updates (yay!) and my theme stopped changing randomly from XP to Classic (Yay again!) But I find that when I check my task manager I have about 35 processes running and my memory usage is SUPER high (not sure if that means much since to be honest I dont know what a lot of the processes that are running are. The only one that seems weird is the rundll.exe it pops ups randomly with me (front) as the user as opposed to system or network.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets have a look see

Could you screenshot task manager for me to look at

Download OTL to your Desktop
Secondary link
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.

Posted Image
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

netsvcs
    BASESERVICES
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    services.*
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    winsock.*
    /md5stop
    CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Post both logs

katvonb28

katvonb28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ill do that now. How do I post the ss of my task manager?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Open task manager on the desktop
Press Print screen on your keyboard
Open paint select paste
Save to your desktop and then add it to your next post

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.