Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems installing XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

kanakaa

kanakaa

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have been working on my computer for two days straight, and I'm getting desperate!

I'm trying to get XP installed on a new hard drive, but keep getting all kinds of errors. First I was getting errors related to the hard drive, then the RAM, and now I'm being told that some files are missing or can't be copied from my CD: dbgeng.dll and rastapi.dll. I tried to find them for download, but couldn't.

Then I downloaded the 6 bootable disk from Microsoft. They were working fine until I got to disk four and was informed that file hidusb.sys is corrupt.

I tried the CD again and got the final message,
Fatal error
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.
A component's file does not match the verification information present in the component manifest.

and in the setup log:
Error: SXS.DLL: syntax error in manifest or policy file "E:\1386\asms\6000\MSFT\VCRTL\VCRTL.MAN" on line 11

Has anyone had a problem like this before? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

fukude

System info:
Abilt Av8 motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 939 CPU
Radeon 9550 AGP Video card
450 W Power Supply
1 GB Corsair memory
Toshiba DVD and DVDRW
Seagate 80GB SATA 150 Hard Drive

Advertisements

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Are you using an Original disk or a burned one?

kanakaa

kanakaa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I think it's an original. It is lavender with the Windows logo and says Professional Final. It has the Serial number on the bottom. My husband got it from a guy who used to be an IT professional. ?? Do I need to buy a new copy?

Thanks.

fukude

Edited by fukude, 06 June 2005 - 03:59 PM.

kanakaa

kanakaa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, I'm still working on it. I found a couple of related discussions on Google.

www.richardsramblings.com/archives/2002/05/00005.html
www.tek-tips.com

There were several suggestions, including:

Try using a CD-ROM instead of DVD-ROM (I tried that)
Test memory using memtest.86
Adjust Bios or look for Bios update (did the best I could)
Check disk for scratches, etc. (mine looks fine)
Big discussion on copying the *.MAN files, repairing them, and burning another CD

Unfortunately, with no OS on my computer, I'm limited in what I can do, and I don't know a lot about the command files. I'm guessing that I'll just have to buy a new CD.

fukude

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go here for set up discs

http://support.micro....com/kb/310994/

choose the version you need

kanakaa

kanakaa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nevermind this one, I accidentally submitted it twice.

Edited by fukude, 08 June 2005 - 10:00 PM.

kanakaa

kanakaa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Keith.

Thanks for the link, but I have already downloaded the boot disks (twice, actually, because the first set weren't formatted - oops!) Anyway, the problem occurs after I have used the disks and inserted the CD.

I have tried erasing the partitions, and reformatting with my ME setup disk, and have been trying to just reinstall ME, but I get a Protection Fault error. So...I tried to slow down the system, thinking that might help. Nope.

The thing is...my mainboard, CPU, harddrive, and memory are all new. There may be some incompatibility somewhere. I'm only using one stick of RAM right now, and don't have any PCI cards installed. (See system info above)

My next plan is to take out the harddrive and install it in my other computer, then try installing ME once more. If ME installs, I can probably upgrade to XP from there. Are we taking bets? I'm running out of ideas.

fukude

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should be able to wipe the drive if it goes to another PC

kanakaa

kanakaa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This thread should probably be entitled, "setting up bios on a new Abit motherboard" because that seems to be what's causing most of my problems. I could start a new thread, but just in case anyone is getting a good laugh at this journal of a novice, I'll give you an update.

I can't install the harddrive in the other computer because it doesn't support SATA. So...I went into Bios and changed the SATA Raid settings, and was able to install ME. I'm still having a problem with three "IRQ Holder for PCI steering" messages, and ME opens in protect mode. I've gone to Microsoft support and tried following their directions, but can't get it worked out. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Am I being too vague?

In system devices, PCI bus, in the IRQ steering tab, steering is enabled, but there is a message below that says it's disabled. I'm not sure whether it's a problem with Windows or the BIOS or both. I'm still researching, but if anyone has information about this particular problem it would be a relief.

I don't want to try installing XP again until I get all the bugs worked out, and all of my hardware installed.

fukude