Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Laptop suddenly unable to access random sites

• Please log in to reply

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
I am using a Dell D620 Latitude Laptop and out of nowhere today it became unable to access a lot of sites. Some sites like Google, YouTube and Facebook worked fine as well as a few others I am on. But some including Gamefaqs, NFL.com and WWE.com would not load. I tried to load speedtest.com and it would not load. I am currently on a library computer trying to figure this all out. I tried calling my ISP and they could not help, they tried to but could not help me. Any ideas what might becausing it. It showed my anti virus was updating, maybe that was slowing my connection down? I tried rebooting my laptop,different browsers ,deleting my temp files and browsing history none of that seemed to help.

MAJOR UPDATE

It turns out my CPU usege is at 100% due to mostly to avp.exe. I think its something to do with my anti virus. I am using Kaspersky 2013 on an older Windows XP laptop. According to the stats it should be able to run it. Any idea what I should do?

Edited by RebelGamer137, 04 February 2013 - 08:55 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,354 posts
  • MVP
AVP.exe is Kaspersky. It may be running so high because it is fighting with malware. You should run OTL and create a new topic in our malware section
http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/
Post (Copy and Paste) the OTL log (and the Extras log if you get it).

Ron K

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
I did a full system scan and Kaspersky found no active threats.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,354 posts
  • MVP
We are not allowed to run OTL scans in this forum so I can't really see what is going on. I would suggest that you use Kaspersky's forums then:

http://support.kaspersky.com/us/forums

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
What is an OTL scan?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,354 posts
  • MVP
OTL = OldTimerListit It is a scan of your system which tells me what is loading with the extras log also what errors you are getting. Read the first post in the Malware forum.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
I am trying to register an account there but I can't get the activation email. Any good way to contact an admin there so they can manually activate my account?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,354 posts
  • MVP
You already have an account. The same one you use here. Just click on Start New Topic in the malware forum.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
I was going to join the Kaspersky forum. I could call there tech support. I did run a full system scan via Kaspersky last night. It found no threats. This all started with out any warning yesterday.