Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD and CD rom update

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
I am looking to buy a HDD and CD rom drive to put into an old shell. These are the only parts missing. Can I just buy any HDD and CD rom drive?

Advertisements

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
It completely depends on the motherboard you have in the old shell. Most HDD and CD/DVD ROM drives you buy now are SATA as opposed to the old IDE. If your motherboard has unused SATA connectors, then yes, you can easily buy new ones and install them. If your motherboard only has IDE ports, then you need to make sure you purchase drives that have IDE connection. (IDE is a very wide cable, almost 2 inches; SATA is a small cable with ends that are about 1/2 an inch).

Also, are you removing the old HDD and installing a new OS or are you just connecting this HDD as an extra storage drive?

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
I forgot alll about the SATA cables, which it does have. I know what to do from here, thanks!

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Okay, happy I helped :thumbsup:

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
I have completely rebuilt my computer with help from this site, I am giving all my old parts to my dad and the only parts not included are the cd rom and HDD. Everything else is in there, MB, RAM, CPU, GPU, PSU Shell, ect. Everything I bought and replaced with help from here on what parts are and are not compatible.