Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

compaq presario cq57-339wm upgrades

• Please log in to reply

TrueEvangelionLover

TrueEvangelionLover

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi i have a compaq presario cq57-339wm notebook pc and i have been wandering if i can upgrade the cpu and gpu the current specs on are

intell celeron b800 1.5 ghz, 2gb ram ddr3, and windows 7 pro 64bit im hoping i can at least hold a amd or intell quad core and a video card that can play some games like dues ex humen revolution and such and if you guys could provide a list of processors and video cards thank you all in advanced :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: TrueEvangelionLover

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but due to the costs involved and minimal improvement you will gain your notebook and notebooks in general have very limited upgrade potential with fitting the maximum amount of Ram and a faster HDD (hard drive) or SSD being about as much as you can realistically do with most notebooks, hence the reason why high end gaming notebooks such as the Dell Alienware range are so expensive http://www.dell.com/...ware-m17x-r4/pd

TrueEvangelionLover

TrueEvangelionLover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
just to let you know i just took a pic of my motherboard i had to get a new processor for it thats why its not in it the other one is my gpu and just to let you know my laptop can hold up to 8gb ddr3 ram and that only will cost me 50 bucks so please do the research into this so i dont get answer like this cause it just turns off anyone that has a better answer6073848.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Yes when you have all of the correct and relevant information that is needed then Google is great for research and that is what I used to find the specs for your notebook which clearly shows that the notebook is only shipped with either a dual or single core CPU (see Product Description) http://h10032.www1.h...l/c02948186.pdf and that the video is provided by either the Intel HD graphics on computer models equipped with an Intel Celeron processor or the alternative Discrete graphics: AMD Radeon HD series graphics chip, you did not tell us what your video solution was but only the following intell celeron b800 1.5 ghz, 2gb ram ddr3, and windows 7 pro 64bit

Use Google yourself and you will see that the AMD E450 CPU which is shipped with some Compaq Presario cq57-339wm is the FT1 BGA 413-Ball MB/CPU socket type while the MB that your notebook is shipped with and accepts your original Intel Celeron B800 CPU has an FCPGA988 socket and so will not accept an AMD chip of any description http://superuser.com...d-amd-cpu-chips

FWIW the attachments below show the difference between a video card and a notebooks onboard video chip, note the massive size difference between the two.

TomLane

TomLane

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I checked the upgrade from the HP site awhile back, and the processor upgrade was only up to a dual core 1.7 or 1.8 and at the time I didn't want to buy it since it was nearly $100 for the upgrade. You can increase the Ram to at least 4gb in 2 chips, but I didn't see any upgrade for the video card which is the least of the 3 in capability. I stumbled across this looking for specifics to upgrade the processor, since now even the standard flash players are above my processor speed. But usually you can find cheap upgrades on places like Pricegrabber or pricewatch.com which link to a large number of smaller businesses. Just so you know, since you might, like me only need a small upgrade. Hope this helps for anyone needing the info.