Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire SA85 runs hot (45c +)

• Please log in to reply

ocsum

ocsum

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,I have just had my pc cleaned from Malware as I've been on the Spyware,Malware Removal forum
http://www.geekstogo...runs-very-slow/

Have done a scan with Speccy.exe and shows a mother board temp of 47c

RAM
512 MB
Motherboard
Acer E661FXM (Socket 775) 47 °C

It was suggested that I ask here for advice.
Problem is when I'm doing internet searches the computer will momentarily freeze for 10 or so seconds,and if I'm typing the cursor doesn't keep up ( and I can't type quick)

Cheers
Pete

Advertisements

ocsum

ocsum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Sorry forgot to mention the pc tower has been cleaned from dust and when run without the side covers the pc still freezes.

Cheers
Pete

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hello ocsum

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU (power supply unit) please

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

ocsum

ocsum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Phillpower2,
thanks for your assistance with my problem.

Speedfan screen shot.JPG

Cheers
Pete

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
These temps are fine...i suspect this virus you had has corrupted some files/software/drivers...

ocsum

ocsum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Veeg,
that snap shot was taken when the system was idle,whenI open a
single window - temp 1 goes up to around 46c
Youtube video - temp 1 is 50
Multiple windows - temp 1 is 53

Hope this clarifys things a bit.

Cheers
Pete

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Hi Veeg,
that snap shot was taken when the system was idle,whenI open a
single window - temp 1 goes up to around 46c
Youtube video - temp 1 is 50
Multiple windows - temp 1 is 53

Hope this clarifys things a bit.

Cheers
Pete

The temps are still in the normal range..

ocsum

ocsum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

These temps are fine...i suspect this virus you had has corrupted some files/software/drivers...

This may be a stupid question but
Is there a program or scan that can either restore or identify the corrupt file/software/drivers?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Your idle temps and voltages are fine but as you are already aware the temps increase when the computer is under load and the voltages can do the same but they can also drop which can also cause lockups, watch a video or do some gaming and take another screenshot and post it with your next reply please.

As an asides I would suggest that you upgrade your Ram as 512mb is minimal by todays standards and having multiple windows open or watching videos can be very demanding at times and especially on a computer that is using the MBs integrated video chip, this is because the integrated video chip relies on the system memory for support which in turn denies other programs the memory that they need which then results in poor performance.

Use the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details and shop around for the best deal http://www.crucial.c...ner/?click=true let us know what is suggested and we can also look for you.

FWIW your MB will accept a maximum of 2 X 1GB sticks it suggests here http://www.offtek.co...661fxm/mid84200

Unless your MB has ever been swapped the full specs http://support.acer....reSA85sp2.shtml

Fitting an add on video card would also help but as above unless your MB has been upgraded you can only use an AGP type video card and new ones of these are hard to come by now as they are aged technology.

We can come back to checking your software after your updated Speedfan readings have been checked.

ocsum

ocsum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Updated speed fan screen shot

Attached Thumbnails

• Speed fan screen shot 2.JPG

Advertisements

ocsum

ocsum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Had a scan done on Crucial system scanner and it said

2G (2X1G) DRR . PC3200 . DDR400 - 2.6V - 128Meg x 64
Part no #CT745035

Cheers
Pete

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Had a scan done on Crucial system scanner and it said

2G (2X1G) DRR . PC3200 . DDR400 - 2.6V - 128Meg x 64
Part no #CT745035

Cheers
Pete

Sounds good,make sure you get low density ram... Also i hate to be bearer of bad news it looks like your PSU is failing...Your 12 volt rail is only showing 11.65 volts...that will not do..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Updated speed fan screen shot

Can you repeat the PSU test procedure with HWMonitor for us so that we have a comparison to Speedfan http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Check the attached PSU tolerance table below and you will see that your +12V rail is marginally inside what it should be.

Use Google to search for the least expensive compatible Ram available close to where you reside in Australia.

Rather than double post while you are waiting for a reply can you use the edit tab if you have something to add to your last reply, this will help ensure that nothing is overlooked and avoid filling up peoples mailbox, thanks.

ocsum

ocsum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,
Sorry for the double post.

Heres the screen shot of HWMonitor
Cupid screen shot.JPG

So what does the low voltage on the + 12 rail mean?

Also my PSU is....
FSP Group INC
Model- PSP200-60ATV
AC input - 220V-230V
DC output - 200W

Cheers
Pete

Edited by ocsum, 08 February 2013 - 09:29 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
No worries and thanks for the additional screenshot and using the edit tab :thumbsup:

The PSU voltages and system temperatures readings are fine although the total 200W PSU output is a bit on the weak side for your systems hardware.

So that we can identify the correct PSU output required for your system can I ask what processor you have, also were the HWMonitor readings above taken after watching a video or some gaming, these readings are a true reflection of how the PSU is coping.

I would suggest that ensuring that you have enough clean and stable power is done before anything else as an underpowered PSU causes damage to all hardware.