Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire SA85 runs hot (45c +)

• Please log in to reply

ocsum

ocsum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Phillpower2
The temp readings were taken while i had two windows open playing two different songs on Y Tube at the same time.
As for processor
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.06GHz | Socket 775 | 3066/133mhz

Cheers
Pete

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi Pete

Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

There are different versions of the P4 CPU available the Cedar Mill, Prescott and Northwood and they do not have the same power requirement, it is not vital that you know which version it is that you have I am just trying to provide you with the most accurate information possible.

ocsum

ocsum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
So where does this lead me ,do I need a new PSU?
If so just a like for like replacement or a higher wattage?
Do I bother upgrading to 1G-2G of RAM with out doing something with PSU?

Cheers
Pete

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Without knowing the exact version of your P4 CPU I cannot give you a 100% certain voltage recommendation but what I can tell you is that the minimum recommended requirement is 223W meaning that your present PSU is too weak, see the screenshot that I have attached below where I have used the details that you have provided and then included a single HDD and a combo drive which most if not all older PCs had, note the recommended output + the information that I have outlined in the bottom left hand corner.

I would not upgrade anything without sorting the PSU first but the final choice is ultimately yours.

Another PSU calculator tool that you can use yourself http://easycalculation.com/physics/electromagnetism/computer-power-supply.php

ocsum

ocsum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Does this help.....

Attached Thumbnails

• CPUID.JPG
  • CPUID2.JPG
  • CPUID3.JPG
  • CPUID4.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the screenshots :thumbsup:

A 300W PSU is recommended to support your computers hardware.