Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dial-Up Really Slow

• Please log in to reply

JillB

JillB

• Pip
  • 7 posts
[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]It would be wonderful if someone could help me with this. I have already performed the Hijackthis logs and computer is now clean of :tazz: bad stuff. After cleaning though it is still so completely slow. It was never like this. It takes almost 4 minutes for a page to download, the whole computer freezes too when a page is loading. All you can do is just sit there and wait. Does anyone know of something that can be done. My husband is suggesting the use of a large Hammer. Please help. Thank you in advance.
JillB

Advertisements

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Download and try this first,
Clean Up
also run scandisk and then defrag.

I would like you to post back letting me know what browser you are using (internet explorer, firefox etc etc) or if you are using an interface provided by your ISP......AOL or Compuserve etc etc

Then if Clean Up, Scandisk, and Defrag do not work to speed you up to crawling(which is fast for dialup ;) ) we can try other methods. Ordinarily this will help you though. :tazz:

JillB

JillB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Wow, that really helped. All I did was the Cleanup. I tried to run the scandisk and defragmenter, but said it was not neccesary. Didn't know how dirty these little buggers could get. By the way I use the AOL browser. Don't really like IE or NN. Haven't tried Firefox or Opera. Thank you again. JillB. :tazz:

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
If you are using the AOL browser thats fine. If you want more functionality though try Firefox or Opera. You can download them directly from my signature at the bottom of this post. As for the Clean Up program, I would suggest using it at least once a week, I use it daily on the other hand.

You may also want to go here
and follow the directions just to be sure you are not infected. If you are infected an expert will assist you in the cleaning of your system. Just please be patient, they get to each post as quickly as possible.