Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply

• Please log in to reply

mysticaries88

mysticaries88

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Disconnected the red/black/yellow cable from my harddrive too soon. I remember there was a sizzle/spark sound, didnt think anything of it, reconnected and then smoking red wire. This was 3wks ago. Today I got a new power supply, connected it to a sata cable with power adapter and connected that to my harddrive. Turned on pc then smoking of the red wire within the red/black/yellow group began. Why would this happen if I had new power supply and connected everything with pc totally off? Is my harddrive fried and couldnt handle the new wires? PC is a foxconn and new power supply was coolmax v500 on 115v. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
The HDD probably is fried and if you didn't have your PC unplugged from the wall receptacle,you still had power going to your PSU..Your new PSU may be damaged as well since the red wire started smoking as well.. Another thing this could be as well your power switch may be faulty and still letting power come thru.. I am still wondering about the quote you said about un-plugging your cable from the HDD ......(to soon)..

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Toss the Sata to Molex adaptor in the trash immediately and get a new one before you fry both your PSU and the HDD.

mysticaries88

mysticaries88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you both for replying!
VEEG:
Sorry! When I said unplugged too soon, I meant that I shut down my PC, but it was still making the low sound of still turning off. I removed that red/yellow/black plug from the sata cable adapter that connects to my main HDD and it made that spark/sizzle sound.
I did this because my PC had a virus or something so I was going to reinstall windows 7 on another comp, but changed my mind. I replugged my main HDD in and was going to save the reinstall for another day, but wanted to see if I could save my HDD data to a usb. As soon as I turned it on, smoke! :(
So when you say "you didn't have your PC unplugged from the wall receptacle,you still had power going to your PSU", I'm guessing that's in relation to the "I disconnected too soon"?
If I'm going to remove HDDS I need/should remove plug from wall/power center/surge protectors?
What do you mean by by faulty power switch? Where is this located and why would this happen with the new one?

WOLFEYMOLE:
Oh! Forgot to mention that I got a new sata power adapter cable just to be on the safe side. My new PSU is already fried isnt it? The red wire actually burned worse than the old one :/
Is Molex the proper term for the red/black/yellow group of wires?
If my HDD is already fried, what can be done to save the data?

THANKS AGAIN! :D

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
If I'm going to remove HDDS I need/should remove plug from wall/power center/surge protectors? This would be a yes,just safer that way..

your power switch,it should be in front of the case and the switch you use to power up your PC. I mentioned this as a possible issue,this may or maybe be the cause of power still running thru your sysytem after it was shut down..You probably could find the power switch thru the manufacturer site,if this proves to be an issue as well..

Edited by Veeg, 06 February 2013 - 11:59 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The one you should have is like this...

Posted Image
And if the new one burnt out too then your PSU is not looking too good mate.

mysticaries88

mysticaries88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks Veeg! I'll remember that next time for my HDDs and I'll try and see what can be done with the power switch :)

Wolfey thank you also! My old one looked like that...This is my new one: imagejpeg_9.jpg

I think I can exchange my PSU for a new one at the store and is there any hope for saving my HDD's data? :upset:

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
is there any hope for saving my HDD's data?

Maybe,but i would take out the HDD and use an HDD usb adapter to check that drive after you get a new one..That maybe is a big IF BTW...HDD's aren't not suppose to feed back current like that..

mysticaries88

mysticaries88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
oooh ok, thanx.
How would I use an HDD usb adapter to check the drive after I get a new one?
And what do you mean by feed back current?
Sorry for all these questions, but I need this pc fixed for a new possible job. My windows xp in the study won't do :(

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

oooh ok, thanx.
How would I use an HDD usb adapter to check the drive after I get a new one?
And what do you mean by feed back current?
Sorry for all these questions, but I need this pc fixed for a new possible job. My windows xp in the study won't do :(

How to use is simple... http://www.tigerdire...Id=0&CatId=3770 A note in reviews by some make sure the adapter is powered up before you plug in the usb cord into the usb port.. The feed back i am referring to is...something is causing the red wire to short out or smoke..Will not matter when you get a new HDD and PSU..

Advertisements

mysticaries88

mysticaries88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok! Thank you for everything!!!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry to say that your new (probable now fried) PSU, is extremely poor quality. It does not meet the latest standards for modern computers. It only has one SATA connection, that is why you have to use an adaptor, It is always advisable to use the correct cables, not adaptors.
You said,

PC is a foxconn

Before buying, Please give the model, then we can recommend a good PSU that will not damage your computer.

What HDD are you thinking of buying?

mysticaries88

mysticaries88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for helping! Not sure what HDD I should get, it doesn't need to be a ton of GBs. I'm fine with 80-100GB. Seagate maybe?

The new PSU had 2 sata connections though... imagejpeg_2.jpg
And idk how to figure out PCs model, here's a pic... imagejpeg_3.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
To try and back up your data see if you can borrow an external HDD enclosure such as http://www.newegg.co...=9SIA1F80F73607

To identify your MBs exact details look by the CPU (processor) where it may be printed on the board, if not there look between the PCI slots, you should also see a revision number which will look something like Rev 1.0 or 1.1 for example, if this is not printed with the other MB details it may be printed around the edge of the MB somewhere.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Just to be absolutely certain of just which hard drive you have Mysticaries is it the top or bottom one in the picture, ignore the molex socket on the sata by the way.

Posted Image