Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

10G to 400G Hard Drive Upgrade ... Possible?

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
The Hard Drive on my HP Pavilion 6730 computer finally gave out.
It has a 10Gig Seagate Model ST310212A Hard Drive.
The Operating System is Windows XP Home SP2.
It has a Celeron Processor ... 598MHz.
It has 256 Meg of RAM.

NOW ... I have a non-working Dell computer with a 400Gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Hard Drive.

My question is: CAN I actually install that 400Gig Hard Drive into my HP Pavilion 6730 computer?

Or is that NOT possible because of any Hardware inadequacies of my HP Pavilion?

I've heard differing opinions on whether this is possible.
Some say that it is totally possible because the size of the Hard Drive is handled by Windows.
On the other hand, others said that my HP Pavilion can only handle up to a 40Gig Hard Drive ... presumably because of the Celeron Processor.

Which is correct?

Edited by Chimiti, 06 February 2013 - 11:02 AM.

Advertisements

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Yes you should be able to upgrade to 400 gigs...XP has a limit of 500 gigs,however there is software out there that will make XP recognize more than 500 gigs... I am going to assume this HDD has an IDE connector.. Also you should be able to install that 400 gig HDD with no issue's...You may have to format it tho!

Edited by Veeg, 06 February 2013 - 11:14 AM.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks for replying, Veeg!

However, now that you addressed the aspect of how many Gigs Windows XP can handle ...
Is there ANYTHING ELSE that you can see there in my System's Info / Specifications that would indicate that this Upgrade to a 400G Hard Drive CANNOT happen?

I say this because last year sometime, the brother of an Online friend told me assertively that my HP Pavilion 6730 computer was so old that it could only handle an Upgrade to a 40Gig Hard Drive. Now true, he never did specify WHY he thought that.

So are you saying that the Celeron Processor or the only 256 Meg of RAM should have NO bearing on the Upgrade to 400Gig being possible?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Way back in the mists of time I once ran XP on a PII 266mhz chip with 256mb of memory.

It did run but was like a snail in glue.

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Thanks for replying, Veeg!

However, now that you addressed the aspect of how many Gigs Windows XP can handle ...
Is there ANYTHING ELSE that you can see there in my System's Info / Specifications that would indicate that this Upgrade to a 400G Hard Drive CANNOT happen?

I say this because last year sometime, the brother of an Online friend told me assertively that my HP Pavilion 6730 computer was so old that it could only handle an Upgrade to a 40Gig Hard Drive. Now true, he never did specify WHY he thought that.

So are you saying that the Celeron Processor or the only 256 Meg of RAM should have NO bearing on the Upgrade to 400Gig being possible?

Yes it will run the bigger HDD,as Wolfey has mentioned tho at 256 mbs it will be slow...You are maxed out with your ram however..

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Alrighty the, Veeg ... I'm going for it.
I'm gonna do it.

I'll let you know later in the day how it went.

Thanks a bunch!

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Alrighty the, Veeg ... I'm going for it.
I'm gonna do it.

I'll let you know later in the day how it went.

Thanks a bunch!

You are welcome...

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Well, the attempt ... or more like the several attempts are done.
I sure wish I had better News of successful results.
But, unfortunately I couldn't get the computer to Boot.
Actually I didn't even get to finish the Windows Reinstall process.

I tried both formatting with the FULL (Long) NTFS Formatting option ... and also the Quick Formatting option.
I tried having the Jumper at Cable Select ... as well as subsequently at Master On.

No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the computer to Boot Up after that 1st stage of the process was done where that RED Bar goes across and the computer is then supposed to Boot Up. I would always just get a Blinking Cursor at that point. :confused:

The Formatting and Copying of Files would go fine.
It just wouldn't freakin' Boot Up. Grrrrrr! :angry:

Well, I guess it's possible that there IS something ELSE wrong with the computer.
Maybe the Hard Drive wasn't the problem.

Any insight, Veeg? Any revelation? Anything I can try? Anything I probably didn't do?

Edited by Chimiti, 06 February 2013 - 05:35 PM.

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Have you changed the CMOS battery out,as old as this PC is it may need a new and the other possibility the 400 gig HDD is bad as well..

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I'll see about swapping out the CMOS Battery.
I have a whole mess of them. Hopefully I have the one I need.

Yeah, the possibility that the 400Gig Hard Drive is bad too crossed my mind as well.