Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

yet another problem

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi all,
i thought i ( with much assistance ) had finally got this stoopid machine working properly, until today..i was doing a bit of surfing and it shut down, no warnings, just went off...i restarted and all i got was a blank screen with the cursor flashing in the corner ( is that whats referred to as bsod??? )...pulled the power and battery, then restarted and restarted windows normally...all seems fine again as i write this.
can anyone give me a clue why this happened, i know ive had lots of trouble with this machine but im loathed to bin it as its now become a matter of principal, i refuse to let a machine beat me and i'll carry on fixing it till i can fix it no more....then i'll let my chainsaw finish it off :lol:

any help is greatly appreciated

regards
nige

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It may have tripped out due to overheating Nige if you had it on a bed or some soft furnishings perhaps.

Can you hear the fan turning or feel any air movement from the vent?

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi mate, i had it on my lap..hopefully thats the problem..i'll try it on the table for a while and see what happens although i usually have it on my lap and its not done this before...i'm sure the fan spins up but i'll keep an eye on it

i'll get back to you if and when it does it again

thanks again mate
regards
nige

ok.. it's just done it again, and the fan wasnt running....restarted and the fan came on blowing hot air...i took a speedfan snapshot when it had loaded up..

looks like somethings get a tad warm methinks...fan seems to working now though....any ideas :confused:

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Edited by vistasucks, 07 February 2013 - 12:56 PM.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi wolfey, just thought id update you a bit...
lappy runs hot and shuts itself down, but when i run speedfan and minimise it to tray the temperature stays down and i dont get a problem...so i think i'll keep managing it with speedfan unless there is a reason i should not do this..
by the way, is there a way to run speedfan at startup automatically :confused:

thanks for your time mate

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I can only assume that this is sheer coincidence Nige and I'm not convinced on the integrity of the fan.

Reinstall Speedfan and look for a check box that says something like Add to Windows start up.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

I can only assume that this is sheer coincidence Nige and I'm not convinced on the integrity of the fan.

Reinstall Speedfan and look for a check box that says something like Add to Windows start up.

no " add to windows startup "or anything like it, so i'll manually start it ( i can live with that )
what do you mean by "the integrity of the fan "...do you reckon its on the fritz .theyre only a few quid on fleabay, worth getting another one d'you think...is there a way to check it

regards
nige

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Yes I do reckon it has issues Nige but do you want to strip the lappy down to install it?

What else will go wrong in the short term which brings me to ask if you've ever watched The Money Pit?

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
:lol: ....yes, and i get your point :lol:

i cant afford a new lappy so im gonna go for a new fan, its not difficult to change..are there any tests i can run to make sure or is it just a case of change it anyway..

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I'd change it anyway as the intermittent stopping / starting could be down to a knackered fan bearing which will only get worse.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
okee dokee...i'll get it ordered...thanks matey :thumbsup: