Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't boot from install disk

• Please log in to reply

BlazeHeatnix

BlazeHeatnix

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Turn the computer on, and it makes it to the Windows XP loading screen; blue bar slides across the screen one and a half times before it starts over again. Try to boot in safe mode and the same thing happens.
Inserted Windows XP install disk, and get stop code:
Posted Image
Not sure what to do from there...so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

If you're getting a blue screen and then your computer immediately reboots without being able to read the text in the blue screen, follow the steps below. If you're unable to get into Windows to perform the steps below, boot the computer into Safe Mode.

According to what is said as quoted below it is not possible

Turn the computer on, and it makes it to the Windows XP loading screen; blue bar slides across the screen one and a half times before it starts over again. Try to boot in safe mode and the same thing happens.

Inserted Windows XP install disk, and get stop code:

On the F8 instead of Safe Mode try Last Known Good.

If that does not work and you cannot get a boot from the XP install disc to Repair Your Computer - then recovery console to run a chkdsk - there is a chance although slight that it is defective ram.

If you are able test by taking a stick out and if there are two changing them, to test both separately, attempting to boot on each.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 February 2013 - 05:49 PM.

BlazeHeatnix

BlazeHeatnix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I tried "Last Known Good" but got the same results.
I've been pushing "R" to attempt to get into Recovery Console, but nothing happens. I've tried two different keyboards lol.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry for the delayed reply I have been offline for two days

Depending on what disc you are using, not all OEM reinstallation discs include the recovery console

You should see this

Posted Image

HOWEVER YOU ARE NOT KEYING ENTER you are keying R to use the recovery console

Do you have that window appear please

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 February 2013 - 10:13 AM.

BlazeHeatnix

BlazeHeatnix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
No never seen that screen before. So I'm assuming the disc I am using does not have recovery console?
When I boot with the disc, it tells me to push any key to boot from CD. Upon doing so, it tells me to please wait while it does whatever..
The two screens I see are the ones I have attached. I never see the screen you posted. When that blue screen appears, I tried pressing R multiple times, but it just runs its course until the stop code appears.

So if the disc I am using does not have recovery console on it, what are my options? New HDD? Try swapping RAM?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by BlazeHeatnix, 09 February 2013 - 12:24 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try this

Any way to deal with the issue to hand here are the links for making the recovery console CD.

Recovery Console Disc Image
http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso

Here is the ISO burning program
http://sites.google....-console-for-xp

Using the links above make a recovery console CD, the second link is the special burning software to make a CD from an ISO image. It contains the instructions.

So download from the first link the ISO file - save it to your computer

Download and install the burn cdcc and then insert the blank writeable CD and follow the instructions

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 February 2013 - 12:33 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Received by PM

Thanks for your help, I won't be around that computer until Monday or Tuesday though. I'll post an update in my thread once I have tried your suggestion.

I have put your message here, as it keeps it all tidy.

Good luck with it, I will wait to hear from you

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 February 2013 - 04:27 PM.

BlazeHeatnix

BlazeHeatnix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
All right so I just put the disc in, booted from CD, and it ran the same course as my other disc. Just loaded the files from it and gave me the same stop code. Recovery Console never showed up... :(

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
TRY ram check please

remove one stick try again, change sticks - retry

Are you OK with that or do you need more advice

Disconnect power, ground yourself by taking hold of bear metal case with both hands, ease off retaining clips either end of stick, gently remove stick of ram, do NOT touch components on stick, hold by edges, do not place removed stick on carpet - put on non static surface. Reboot and try