Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Error Recovery Loop - no working options in F8 menu - no boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

hastingsmike

hastingsmike

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Greetings;

I am running windows 7 32 bit on an Acer aspire 4810TZ with RAM upgraded to 4gig. I have no known malware issues, however when the system was running 12 hours ago it WAS running sluggish. I am running AVG Free antivirus and had no alerts.

When I try to boot it up it goes into the Windows Error Recovery DOS screen with only two options: Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally. When I try to start windows normally, as soon as the windows logo animation appears, a blue screen very briefly flashes (So brief I can't read the message). I am then looped back to the original error recovery screen with the same two options. If I select Startup Repair, the process runs through loading files, then goes to a greyed out microsoft corporation loading graphic (similar to vista startup), then to a black screen with a single whit arrow that can actually be moved via the trackpad. It will sit in this mode indefinitely until hard reboot. I have inserted my windows disc to attempt to boot from restore point or reinstall, however despite boot sequence starting with CDROM, it appears to not recognize the CD. Ultimately need to preserve some data that is in there and has not been backed up yet.

I have read through several forums and found Essexboy helped someone with a very similar issue in the following post:

http://www.geekstogo...up-repair-loop/

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I have moved your topic to a better subforum :)

Download the following three programmes to your desktop :

1. WiNTBootIc

For 32bit systems
2. Windows 7 RC
3. Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Extract wintoboot to your desktop
Insert a USB drive of at least 1GB
Run Wintoboot

Posted Image

Drag and drop the Windows 7 ISO to the programme in the space indicated
Tick the Format box and accept the warnings
Press Do It

You will see it progressing

Posted Image

It will let you know when it is done
Then copy FRST to the same USB

Posted Image

Insert the USB into the sick computer and start the computer. First ensuring that the system is set to boot from USB
Note: If you are not sure how to do that follow the instructions Here

When you reboot you will see this although yours will say windows 7.
Click repair my computer
Posted Image

Select your operating system
Posted Image

Select Command prompt
Posted Image

At the command prompt type the following :

notepad and press Enter.
The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
In the command window type e:\frst64.exe and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
The tool will start to run.
When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Posted Image
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.