Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old computer - Server

• Please log in to reply

Botervloot

Botervloot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hello,

I have a question about an old computer we got at home, can I use it to make an Windows Server from it?

I want it to train for school and for a back-up. :)

Thanks. :P

Advertisements

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hello

Here is a link on how to setup your old pc as a server...I hope it helps..

http://www.pcworld.c...ern_server.html

Another link here as well.. http://www.ehow.com/...ter-server.html

Edited by Veeg, 07 February 2013 - 10:09 AM.

Botervloot

Botervloot

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks for the answer, looks hard for now, maybe later when I got more experince. :) :rolleyes:

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Here is a you tube link..

Botervloot

Botervloot

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks again! :thumbsup:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
none of those instructions will make your computer a windows server. in fact, they specifically will NOT make your computer a windows server. one will make it a NAS (network attached storage device) and the other will make it a wamp server. which is totally not what you asked for.

to make a computer a windows server, you need to install a server version of a windows operating system. to do this, you have to make sure that the computer meets the requirements of the server version you are wanting to use (compatibility of an old system is less and less likely as you move up the versions btw), and then you need to purchase the operating system licensing.

could you better describe what you're actually trying to achieve here?

Botervloot

Botervloot

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

none of those instructions will make your computer a windows server. in fact, they specifically will NOT make your computer a windows server. one will make it a NAS (network attached storage device) and the other will make it a wamp server. which is totally not what you asked for.

to make a computer a windows server, you need to install a server version of a windows operating system. to do this, you have to make sure that the computer meets the requirements of the server version you are wanting to use (compatibility of an old system is less and less likely as you move up the versions btw), and then you need to purchase the operating system licensing.

Ehm, tell me more about a NAS first.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a NAS is a network attached storage device. basically a box of hard drives with network connectivity. allows you to share and access files across a network.

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

I stand corrected...@ Botervloot i missed the windows server quote...sorry! I will see if i can find a easy to use tutorial from you tube for the NAS server..

Botervloot

Botervloot

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Not a big problem.... thanks both for all the help! :)

Advertisements

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
In post #2 the 1st link is on NAS sever info..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
which is fine, but still not what Botervloot asked for anywhere in this thread. before telling someone how to make a NAS, you might want to explain what a NAS is...especially if you're suggesting they make a NAS instead of a windows based server

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

which is fine, but still not what Botervloot asked for anywhere in this thread. before telling someone how to make a NAS, you might want to explain what a NAS is...especially if you're suggesting they make a NAS instead of a windows based server

Ok then you need to re-read post #7....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
which is where he asks for more information on a NAS not instructions on how to make one.

do you want to argue about this or do you want to actually help someone get information?

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

which is where he asks for more information on a NAS not instructions on how to make one.

do you want to argue about this or do you want to actually help someone get information?

As an admin one would think you would know forum etiquette and PM me if you have an issue with me and my post..

As a point i thought i was helping and giving the options since Botervloot ask about info on a NAS server!