Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

floppy disk(s) fail (40) error

• Please log in to reply

robirdman

robirdman

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I haven't used this computer for a while and wanted to retrieve something on it. I typed the topic title to the web and came on this site with posts with the same problem.
I tried those solutions. I disabled the floppy. I chose none for its booting.
There was also a solution about integrated peripherals, but I saw no option in advanced.

there had also been a Tren Chipawayvirus ® on guard message, and this went away when I read another post about disabling the virus checker, and that message went away. but this made no difference, regarding the floppy message.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you by chance disable floppy drive seek in the bios? If not that may be your problem. Even if you disable floppy drive and it's not included in the boot sequence the seek will still try to find it.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I'm not sure. What topic is that under?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
General or hardware. Mine is located under enabled floppy area.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I disabled floppy 3 support in one place and then floppy drive seek in another.
Success! Windows eventually came up. thanks. Now I can look for the files I wanted to retrieve.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great to hear. What files are you trying to backup?

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
This is a little complicated. I have Cubase digital Audio Recording software. One of my earliest versions (SX2)had songs ending in .all format.
the latest version, (Cubase 6)doesn't recognize this so I have all these older songs that I worked on that I can't open.
There was one of the intermediate versions VST32 that could still open these and convert to a form that the later versions recognize.
I thought I had it on the XP computer, but when I got it running I saw that I didn't. But I found a disk with it on and installed in and it looked like I was having total success, but at the end it stuck on a message reading "updating system configuration". There it remained. Hours later it was still there. I couldn't shut down the computer. Even C-A-D wouldn't make it go away, so I just had to power off.

While writing this I just rebooted and clicked on the icon for VST32. I was about to say nothing happened, but the program actually did open. there are no longer any sound cards or midi devices connected, so I got a lot of messages about such, but this may not matter to just open a song and resave it. I'll give it a try.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry for the long absence but have you been able to correct this issue or are you still in need of assistance?