Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lenovo laptop stops responding when wireless is turned on/connected to

• Please log in to reply

alexander4

alexander4

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I am not sure if this is a hardware issue, or malware.
Lenovo G550 2958 Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

This is a friend's laptop I've been trying to troubleshoot. Issue is that once WIFI is enabled, or it is plugged in to a LAN, it quickly becomes unresponsive. Applications will not open, ctrl + alt + del generates an error message about not being able to open the security screen.

The first thing I did was run Malwarebyte's in safe mode. It discovered 13 issues and removed them. There was no antivirus when he brought it to me, so I have since installed Avast Internet Security.

Safe Mode seems to work, even when plugged in to a LAN. Through safe mode, I disabled all the startup programs in MSConfig, and disabled all services that were not Microsoft related. I attempted to update the Wireless and LAN drivers through Lenovo's website. I say attempted because even though I downloaded for the Lenovo G550 2958 64-bit, it doesn't look like the updates took. That is the dates under device manager predate the release dates on the downloaded drivers.Using the device manager, I attempted to update the drivers that way, and it said the best drivers were already in place.

Devices are:
Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
Broadcom NetLink Fast Ethernet
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter (I don't know what this is)

I am not sure where to go from here. Again, safe mode with networking seems to work fine. I can browse, open applications and all that. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
alexander4

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
This sounds like Virus/Malware issues at their best. Suggest Opening a topic in that forum to help you get resolved.

alexander4

alexander4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks, I wasn't really sure one way or the other. I appreciate it!

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
The fact that you already found stuff on it, and it had no virus protection leads me to believe that some items still exist. I think they can provide better help to get you at least clean, and then if you still have problems, revisit this thread.