Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

network problem

• Please log in to reply

robirdman

robirdman

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I have several computers that I have tried to network in a sensible way and have been unable to.
The Samsung (Win7) laptop cannot access the RAIN Nimbus (win7) PC. It asks for a name and password that I never gave. The only possible one would be the one to log into any of the computers and that doesn't work.
The Samsung shows the Nimbus in Network and says it is in the Nimbus homegroup but can't access anything. The Nimbus can access public folder on the Samsung though, with no password required.
Then the Vista PC can access the Nimbus, and the Samsung.

The Samsung asks for a password to access the Vista PC.

An today, after starting this post I just double checked things and now the Samsung is accessing the Nimbus without asking for a name and password. This never happens. Could it be because all 3 are on? None of this makes sense. I set all 3 to have the same name and password to log on.

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
It sounds like you are asking about filesharing. Filesharing in Win 7 is different. The easiest way to do this, is not to setup a workgroup, but instead use the password system of file sharing built into Win 7. Its called a homegroup. In a homegroup:

Computers on a home network must belong to a workgroup, but they can also belong to a homegroup. A homegroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, videos, documents, and printers with other people on a home network.

A homegroup is protected with a password, but you only need to type the password once, when adding your computer to the homegroup.

Go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center. Click where it says, Choose homegroup and sharing options. From here you can decide what you want to share. You can also view and print the homegroup password, which will let you windows 7 machines see one another.

For Vista, give this article a look about how to connect Vista into a homegroup. http://www.techrepub...sta-and-xp/1910

Edited by fyrfyter33, 08 February 2013 - 07:29 PM.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
On the samsung, it says it belongs to the Nimbus Homegroup, and that Windows assigned password is the same as the Nimbus's.
On both all the things to chare are checked - music, pictures documents etc.
But I can't get anything from the Nimbus when on the Samsung, only the other way can I transfer anything.
These are both Win7.
When I go to the Nimbus Homegroup it says no other Homegroup computers are currently available.

I might add that I just got my XP computer up to windows after my other posted problem was solved.
All I have to do with that is go to Networks, and there is the Nimbus and I am dragging and dropping files I wanted there.
It seems to be the Samsung that won't let me access the Nimbus, rather than the Nimbus preventing because the same situation exists with my vista computer. Like the Nimbus, I can move files from it to the samsung. but I can't pull them in while on the Samsung.

Edited by robirdman, 02 March 2013 - 02:29 PM.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Everyone is clueless on this one. Over a year without being able to network more than 1 way.

robirdman

robirdman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
If this wasn't incomprehensible enough, now things somewhat reversed. Now on the Samsung, I CAN access the Nimbus public folder, but the Samsung asks for a name and password when I want to access its own public folder! Stupid and ridiculous.