Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Forging an email message

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

nycdude

nycdude

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Involved in a civil lawsuit. Two email messages were printed out and introduced into evidence but our client doesn't think the emails are real. They come to and from yahoo accounts and the attorney claims he printed them out directly from the inbox & sent boxes. But our client doesn't have it on his account (possible was deleted but client denies). However after seeing this article

http://www.businessi...e-emails-2011-4

we began to believe that these emails were faked.

Therefore to prove that there is doubt that these emails are real, we need to create fake email messages of our own. For example, we could create one email which appears to have been sent to the opposition attorney and replied to two years ago containing a message which obviously faked. This will show the judge and jury how easy email messages can be forged.

FOR EXAMPLE:

To: [email protected]
Time: October 7, 2006 7:36pm
Subject: Re: Fake email
Yes this if fake

Original message:
To: [email protected]
Time: October 3, 2006 3:21am
Subject: Fake email
Is this fake?

Electronic signature here

Although it would be nice, we actually don't need to have the email be discovery proof or stand up to FBI or other investigation; all it needs to do is appear genuine in the inbox or sent folder and be dated years ago. Currently the judge is preventing us from invading the privacy of the opposition's email account unless we can show that such email messages can be faked. If we can show this, we can get a subpoena.

How would we do this? Is there a program for this? Who would be able to do perform this service? A small fee would be considered.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
nycdude,

I'm sorry, but the nature on online help means that we have no means of verifying that you are who you say you are, and that you're trying to do this for the wrong reasons. Therefore, we cannot offer any help on this. If you are indeed a lawyer and this is critical to your case, I think you would be much better served by contacting someone who specializes in computer forensics, and could subsequently act as a technical adviser and expert witness, if needed, and I would expect that you would have access to that sort of support. I am closing this topic.

sari