Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP COMPAQ LAPTOP NO POWER

• Please log in to reply

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
HP COMPAQ LAPTOP 'PRESARIO CQ61'. I booted up the unit then tried to plug a bluetooth modem/adaptor (for wireless mouse) in to one of the USB ports located on the right side. The power cut off immediately. On inspection the topo pastic tab of the USB port on the laptop was gone....I am sure this damage was done earlier.

I tested the power unit with another from another Presario laptop & found it was OK so I can only assume the bluetooth modem/adaptor blew a fuse somewhere.

I am waiting for the local PC shop to open on Monday teh I will take it in for inspection.

Does anyone have experience with this or a similar problem?................

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello OZDOUG

It is possible that there is a short circuit in the case or the MB itself, if it is the latter the MB could be ruined, the issue may also be coincidental though with the problem laying elsewhere.

Some questions if I may;

Is there any movement in the damaged USB port.

Are there any signs of power getting to the notebook such as the AC adapter LED being lit or the battery charging LED on the notebook being lit.

Have you tried removing the battery and using only the AC adapter to wall socket and vice versa battery power only and AC adapter removed.

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
phillpower2,

It got stranger....but in a good way!!

I didn't get a chance to check the USB port but will consider to swap it out with a good unit cannibalised from another identical laptop which has a bad screen.

Anyway, I removed the battery & ran the bad unit successfully with power connected.

I then put a good battery in to the bad unit & it ran OK. I also ran that unit with the good battery & no power connected.

I then put the original battery from the bad unit in to another laptop & it ran OK.

I put that original 'bad' battery back in to the original 'bad' laptop & everything is now charged up & running OK!........

Maybe there was a safety cut off switch in the battery to prevent damage, & just needed to be 'reset' somehow.......?

BUT it was your suggestion to check the battery that gave me the right path to check & resolve the situation........MANY THANKS!! :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Glad you got it sorted, thanks for the follow up and you are most welcome OZDOUG :thumbsup: