Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE opens on bootup to foreign site

• Please log in to reply

tuckspub

tuckspub

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Working on a laptop which every time it is rebooted comes up to an IE page written in German but unable to correctly load. Upon each reboot IE starts and goes to 404.funpic.org/404.html. I've tried Microsoft Anti-Spyware and finally got Ad-aware to run after many failures where it would choke on one of 3 dll's within the first thousand or so files it looked at. I tried searching through the registry for funpic but perhaps it is being redirected to the site via IP address? I don't want to get the user's machine back in here until I have a better idea of what the solution is. Worked on it for an hour or so Friday with no luck so I'd better have a closer solution before I have the user bring the machine back. Would appreciate any help you can offer. Machine is Dell D600 with Win2000 and mandatory to use IE but without SP2 available.

Edited by tuckspub, 06 June 2005 - 02:25 PM.

Advertisements

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
You need to follow the directions here?

Sounds more like a browser Hijack than an adware problem so ad aware probably wont be much help. :tazz:

tuckspub

tuckspub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
many thanks for your help, turns out it was a trojan. Your help was greatly appreciated.