Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Other devices are connected to network but no internet connection

• Please log in to reply

coachld

coachld

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have been searching the internet for 1/2 of the day and trying to fix on my own but no luck. My PC is connected to network and am able to access internet, etc. However, none of the other devices in my home (iphone, droid, xbox, ipad)are able to connect to internet. They were connecting previously so no idea what happened but please note, that there are several people including a 12-year old using this PC. When I check wifi setting in ipad and iphone, there is a check mark next to network showing that it is connected but I am unable to access the internet, app store, etc. Not sure how much info I need to provide to better help. Please help.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Make and Model number of the router? Is there encryption on the wireless part of the router? Is there a password on the router? Does the PC connect with an Ethernet cable or via Wireless? Assume the other devices are trying to connect wirelessly? What operating system is the PC?

Ron K

coachld

coachld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The router is belkin wireless g (3000 version). I have zero tech skills so not sure on encryption. There is a router password. The PC connects wirelessly and yes the other devices do as well. PC operating system is windows vista home premium version 6.0. Not sure if this matters but ISP is Comcast cable.

Edited by coachld, 10 February 2013 - 10:43 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
encryption is used when you connect wirelessly and you have to put in a password. Odds are that you have encryption and the PC is using it but you do not know how to make it work on your other devices. If you are using 128-Bit WEP encryption then you need to get the 128-bit WEP key from your router and use that when you set up other devices. This is not the same as the passphrase you may have entered. See http://www.belkin.co...ticle?rnId=3774

You can remove the encryption by doing a reset:

Press and hold the Reset button (on the back. Sometimes you need a paperclip to push it) for at least ten seconds then release it. The lights on the Router will momentarily flash. The Power/Ready light will begin to blink. When the Power/Ready light becomes solid again, the restore
is complete.

If you reset the router you will lose any encryption and the router password will go back to the default. You will have to tell your PC to reacquire the wireless network this time without a password. However it's likely that your other devices will now be able to connect to your wireless network.

It's not really smart to operate without encryption. Here is an example why:

http://www.king5.com...-120637284.html

coachld

coachld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK...then I do have encryption. When I went to Belkin page using 192.168.2.1 and checked security it shows TKIP encryption along with password. I am assuming that this means there is encryption on my PC/router. When trying to connect from my iphone it did require password and showed that it was connected but there is still no internet connection.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I would try switching to a different encryption. It's possible that your other devices can't really use TKIP. Try AES instead.

coachld

coachld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Made the change...now the PC will not connect to wireless network connection. I am receiving the following message: The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network.

By the way RKinner...I appreciate you taking the time to help out.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
You need to tell the PC that the network encryption has been changed. I think considering you have no experience you should start off without encryption and make sure everything can talk to the router first.

coachld

coachld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Fixed...thanks a ton for your help!!!!!