Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do i Re-Install windows xp Without the Install Disk

• Please log in to reply

NicerookiE

NicerookiE

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I had bought a Computer off Ebay recently and i have had a error with it, When i start it, it goes to a Screen saying about a File missing,I cant remember the full name but it was a Critical file in the WINDOWS Folder. I have looked online about this and it said about a Bad Battery Change or The plug being pulled out to fast, my mum said something about her pulling it out to fast or My brother installed a Virus.
I have another XP Syestem, But however that has no Disks or Winin32 i think its called that, My Broken computer is not Accessable but i can use a 8gb Flash Drive and CD/ROM Drive, it also has no Disks with it. Vise Versa with the Working Computer. I want to know if i can use a Flash drive by Burning it or Something or is there a other way, Also it says about pressing r to do something but that just Restarts it
Additional:
I had a Windows 98 disk around so i tried that but hen it got to 100% on Formatting it says there was a Error, So i think that my Drive is Fromatted aswell.
If you want Specific Details on things then tell me im just writing at the top of my head.
Thanks,
Will

Advertisements

househeart

househeart

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Hello Will and Welcome to GeeksToGo!

You ask in the topic title "How do I re-install Windows XP Without the Install Disk" so to help you with that I should let you know that you would either have to purchase an original Windows XP Installation or upgrade to Windows Vista/7/8.

Please be aware though that:-

From next year Microsoft will no longer be updating Windows XP with security updates that help prevent your Windows XP from some known malware/virus programs.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can get a Recovery Disc for your computer from Restoredisks.com, cost $20.