Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A different kind of files directory

• Please log in to reply

okiol

okiol

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi, I don't know if this is the right topic to put this thread in, pardon me if it isn't.

I want to be able to do this:

let's say I have two equal categories: books and movies.

I at the same time have two other equal categories: children's and fantasy.

I want to be able to basically just give a new file properties, for example Lord of the Rings ebook will end up belonging to both book and fantasy, while Harry Potter ebook might belong to both book, fantasy and children's.

I then want some kind of searchable library. Where if I search for books, I will have all the files that belong to children's in one folder, and fantasy in another, and if I search for children's I want all books in one folder, and movies in the other, and possibly fantasy in a third.

I want to be able to assign many of these properties to a document and search it through. I have great problems with sorting out my library of documents, books, movies, notes, ideas, reminders, etc and make it easy to find, because one day I might want to look at all my books, and the next day I might want to look at a specific field of study, and find the books for that topic there, together with my notes, other documents, video clips etc. I know that computationally this problem should be trivial, but I don't know of any software that can do it.

If in this software there would be easy ways to make standard folders etc, that would be great. For example the first thing I always do when I start a new topic is to put a document called links in there. All this seems very inefficient, time consuming, and hopefully unnecessary. Thanks in advance

Advertisements

househeart

househeart

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Hi Okiol when you say you are using a "library" and want "A Different kind Of files directory" what are you currently using as a library?

okiol

okiol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm just using the file directory of windows right now, which is really impractical unfortunately. Really what I want is an alternative way to organize my files, preferably just the files that I want to organize in that way, maybe like some kind of project file system.

househeart

househeart

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Have you tried using the latest version of Microsoft Office or one of the applications in Microsoft Office 10 like Access?

okiol

okiol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
No, I don't have those software, does it work like I described?

When I thought about it ,I would really like to superlink words or sentences aswell. For example: say I'm writing a description of Lord of the Rings, I might want to be able to link to the pdf ebook in the document, aswell as the document about "the hobbit", but that's probably a lot easier to do.

househeart

househeart

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Thanks for the extra information. It is possible to store all your project file data including links to (and storing) your PDF ebook files plus a reader like FoxitReader which is what I use with Google Cloud Storage.

You can read about it here:-

https://developers.google.com/storage/

To use it you would need to install Google Cloud Storage Manager-details here and for the download:-

https://developers.g.../docs/gsmanager

And also gsutil Tool:-

https://developers.g...age/docs/gsutil

If you need further information please read the FAQ and Terms Of Service.

Let me know if you think this is what you are looking for.

okiol

okiol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I don't know, I looked around, and it seemed it was the classical folder storage-system? The important task was the property oriented kind of storage system with automated folders, rather than the usual folder system that follows with windows. I realise that it would only be on one place on the harddrive, but if it could create the illusion of moving around in this environment, that would be really great for me. Have you understood exactly what I meant? I can try and explain it clearer if you'd like.