Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access files on my usb after removing threat

• Please log in to reply

fubitzu

fubitzu

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Good Day sir

I have this problem on my usb just a while ago. I just noticed that my files on my usb was moved somewhere else I can't find. On the root menu of my usb it has a one shortcut menu named (NG (8GB).lnk) and one desktop.ini. This is not the original content of my usb and it was modified by something. My previous format for the root are already my files and folders not these one. Its a 8 gb usb and I wasn't able to find my files. I clicked properties and it still has 2gb more. I ran a scan using MSE and MBAM and it detected a 3 virus. I use MSE first and it detected the three virus namely
1. TROJAN:Win32/Dofton.B items infected fileF:\desktop.ini
2. TROJAN:Win32/DOfton.A items infected file F:\~WYP.USBDrv
3. TROJAN:Win32/Dofton.B items infected file F:\desktop.ini.

MSE removed the infections. Before it was removed I still have accessed to my files but after removing the virus I can't accessed my files it says "Error loading ~$WYP.USBDrv" The specified module could not be found.

I have some very important files on my usb. Maybe you can help me sir on this matter.Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Hello fubitzu,

That is not a legit file name. Malware can create and function with such files, but Windows balks when attempting to read them. You are sure your computer is clean now?

You will need a USB (flash/thumb) drive (not the problem one).

Download http://unetbootin.so...dows-latest.exe & http://noahdfear.net.../xpud-0.9.2.iso to the desktop of your clean computer[list]
[*]Insert your USB drive
[*]Press Start > My Computer > right click your USB drive > choose Format > Quick format
[*]Double click the unetbootin-xpud-windows-387.exe that you just downloaded
[*]Press Run then OK
[*]Select the DiskImage option then click the browse button located on the right side of the textbox field.
[*]Browse to and select the xpud-0.9.2.iso file you downloaded
[*]Verify the correct drive letter is selected for your USB device then click OK
[*]It will install a little bootable OS on your USB device
[*]Once the files have been written to the device you will be prompted to reboot ~ do not reboot and instead just Exit the UNetbootin interface
[*]After it has completed do not choose to reboot the clean computer simply close the installer

Leave the xPUD usb inserted, then reboot the computer. You will need to boot the computer from the xPUD usb.

Right at startup there usually are some key options displayed. If there is one for Boot Menu, choose that and then select booting from the usb drive. If not, select whatever key option is to Enter Setup. There navigate to the Boot Options (or similar) using the arrow keys, and change the first boot option to the usb drive. If you need more detailed steps to do this, let me know.

When the usb boots, click Enter for English. Once xPUD loads, insert the problem usb drive into the computer. Click File, then navigate to the problem usb drive. The hard drive partitions on your computer will be named sda1, 2 etc. and the usb drives sdb1, 2 etc.

Then just locate, right click and Delete ~WYP.USBDrv. Remove the usb drives, then reboot the computer.