Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Packard Bell starts then powers off

• Please log in to reply

GreenDragonTrading

GreenDragonTrading

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I wonder if you can help me.
I have a Packard Bell UTOW – DV11 which powers up for a few seconds and then turns itself off.
It is acting like the CPU is powering the computer down to protect itself. Though the Chip is stone cold after this brief power up.
I have tried changing the PSU in case it was sending too much power to the chip and it still had the same fault.
I have disconnected the 4 pin power supply to the CPU and the computer will then stay powered up indicating to me there is something going on in the CPU area.
I have powered up with only the MB connected and still faulty.
I have cleaned the heat sink and fan.
The paste on the heat sink is good.
The power button is not stuck.

The spec is: -

* Intel® Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor
* 2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB Cache
* Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
* 4GB DDR2 667MHz memory
* 640GB SATA hard drive (7200rpm)
* NVIDIA® GeForce® 7100 onboard graphics
* Dual Layer DVD Rewriter
* 18-in-1 media card reader
* 6x USB ports (2x front, 4x rear)

The unit has an MCP73PVT-PM Motherboard.

I have been advised it is the MB that is at fault, but would like a second opinion, as a MB fix is expensive. The like for like is about £100 and I can not seem to find a suitable generic replacement. If you know where I can find a replacement Motherboard or better still if you know what is going on please tell me.
I appreciate your time to read this.
Many Thanks
Chris

Advertisements

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Which country are you in,this would help narrow down the search for a mobo little bit? If this turns out to be the issue..

Edited by Veeg, 11 February 2013 - 07:22 PM.

GreenDragonTrading

GreenDragonTrading

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Good Point - UK
Someone has suggested a reflow, gas mark 6 for 10 minutes.
This is because of the on-board GPU which is prone to fail. However I thought that was for just graphic probs where there is a black screen with power as I loose all power after 3 to 5 seconds.
I have to go to bed so it will be a few hours before I'm back.
Thank you for replying.
Kind Regards
Chris

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
The baking in the oven has only marginal success,you could go to a shop and have you board go thru a reflow,i hear it's pricey.. Yes it is possible that the graphics could die doing this home baked method... I did a PS3 fatboy like this,it killed to usb ports and the onboard lan card,however it did work for what i wanted out of it for 2 weeks and died again..

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Here is an Amazon UK link to this board... http://www.amazon.co...49&sr=1-2-fkmr1

The Yorkfield boards are being discontinued...from Intel..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: GreenDragonTrading

First off forget about putting the MB in the oven as it will do more harm than good.

The starting and shutting down problem could be a thermal issue but it could also be a short circuit caused by a bared wire or a stray screw as one example and other possible causes include a break in the solder circuit which when the MB gets warm and expands causes the broken solder to also expand and so breaks the circuit, also keep in mind that if the computer is not completing the POST (power on self test) it could be another item of hardware such as the HDD, Ram, keyboard and unless it has fried the CPU, the MB itself is more likely to fail than the CPU in most circumstances though.

The paste on the heat sink is good.

If the heatsink and cooling fan have been removed this will only be the case if the old thermal paste was removed correctly and a fresh amount of TIM such as Arctic Silver 5 applied, has this been done.

Couple of questions if I may;

Do you at any time get anything on the screen such as the BIOS text.
Do you normally get a single beep when the computer completes POST and boots up successfully.
What is the brand and model of the PSU.

Roin Poore

Roin Poore

• Pip
  • 1 posts

If you have a Packard Bell desktop with MCP73PVT-PM Motherboard that seems to power on and off at random, check the power switch.  The motherboard board is very sensitive to leakage across the switch terminals (100k - 500k ohms) possiblly from manufacturer's lubricant.  To check - power up the PC and disconnect the power switch.  If PC behaves this is likely to be the problem.  (re-connect to power down.)