Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange beeping before blue screen of death.

• Please log in to reply

WtfCaaat

WtfCaaat

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently took my brother's computer in to be fixed.
New fans were put in and it was cleaned out. It was running smooth for a few weeks, until our mother started using it. She does play the Facebook games called CastleVille, which I noticed has significantly slowed down the computer. I don't know if this could be the reason for everything else going wrong with it but, I don't see why not. It was running fine before she started playing it on here.
This is a recurrence of what happened before we took it in. (She also was using his computer to play the stupid game).

What happened before:
Beeping noises, they weren't regular beeping noises.
A single beep, then pause, followed by four beeps and, it would continue for a minute or two, then the system would restart, or crash with a blue screen. (recurrence)

It would constantly restart itself, which I believe was caused by it overheating.
Seeing as this hasn't happened since the fans were replaced.
The restarts were right beside each other, no interval in time.

There was a lot of lag, during game play, opening programs, on start up, etc. (recurrence)

Nothing else, as of yet but, I'm just curious to find out the reason behind this.
If anyone could help us out, that'd be great.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,015 posts
:welcome: WtfCaaat

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

WtfCaaat

WtfCaaat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's a brand name model. Acer Veriton M460, running Windows XP with SP3.
The blue screens are becoming more frequent, there's two main error messages that pop up, I was able to write them down in time.

First one:

STOP: 0x0000007A (0xC03DD29C, 0xC000000E, 0xF74A750C, 0x17980860)
atapi.sys - Address F74A750C base at F749A000, DateStamp 4802539d
Beginning dump of physical memory

Second one:

STOP: 0x0000007A (0xC03DEEA0, 0xC000000E, 0xF7BAB016, 0x1A0FB860)
ntfs.sys - Address F7BA8016 base at F7B52000, DateStamp 48025be5
Beginning dump of physical memory.

I also was able to record the sound the computer makes before the blue screen.
http://tinyurl.com/ayyx3ok

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,015 posts
Is there data on the HDD that needs backing up.

Do you have an XP or a system recovery disk that may have been provided with the computer.

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Next please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

WtfCaaat

WtfCaaat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I had a very, very difficult time doing all of this. My system kept locking up but, I managed to get it done.
Also, the one disk we recieved when we purchased this machine never worked when we needed it before. Curious, isn't it.

None the less, here's the defrag screen cap:
http://oi50.tinypic.com/509hv.jpg

And the scan results:
http://pcpitstop.com...?conid=25239153

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,015 posts
Thanks for the additional information :thumbsup:

The only thing of note with the HDD is that you do not have the OS on a separate partition, this is always recommended as the OS is less likely to become corrupt or damaged, it would not however cause the beeps and I mention it only for your future reference should you do a fresh install or upgrade of the OS.

There are only minor issues in the PCPitstop results which again would not cause the beeps but they should still be resolved when you have the opportunity (see below)

Please return to the PCPitstop results and address the items that have a red X against them, if you hover the cursor over the item you will be given a description of the issue and if you click on it you will be instructed how to correct the problem.

Please take a look at the attached link and see if there is anything similar to what you hear and let us know http://acronymsonlin.../beep_chart.asp

I see that you have Speedfan installed, can you run the program and provide us with a screenshot of the results please.

Next test the CPU and let us know how it goes http://www.playtool....95/prime95.html