Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Jerky Video Playback on particular computers...

• Please log in to reply

themoon

themoon

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have created some digital signage displays using html and displaying them in the Chrome browser (kiosk mode) The display has a couple news tickers, a couple videos playing, and some rotating pictures.
I am trying to understand why the video playback is choppy on the Desktop below but not on the laptop. Yes the specs are higher on the laptop but I find it hard to believe the desktop can't keep up with the videos playing.

Is there something I can do with Chrome? Like increase available memory?
Or do you feel it is the computer itself? And if so, would it benefit to increase the processor or should more memory be added. I don't think adding a dedicated graphics card would help.

Laptop:
Intel Core i5 (2.4ghz)
8 gb (ram)
Onboard Intel HD Graphics
64 bit Win 7 pro

Desktop:
AMD E-350 (1.60ghz)
4 gb (ram)
Onboard AMD Radeon HD 6310
64 bit Win 7 Home

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
:welcome: themoon

The HD 6310 is ok for entry level HTPCs and light gaming so should be able to cope with video playback that is not too demanding,

How is the video being played on the desktop as in has it been copied to the HDD or being played by another means.

Have you tried playing the video on another computer apart from the notebook and if so did it play with no problems.

themoon

themoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
There are actually technically two videos being played.
One is 200x1920 (banner up top that repeats).
The other is a repeating video of some sort of sport in the lower left quadrant. About 60 mins long. It is 640x360.

Both read directly from the hard drive. I have this playing on two different PC's (two video screens)(same specs though) and both are jittery.
(It will play smoothly and then jitter at random times.)

I haven't tried yet another machine with different specs though. Just the laptop and two desktops.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Are the specs of the second desktop tried the same as the one above, also are you using the same media player software on all three machines.

themoon

themoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes both desktops are the same specs.
Yes I am using the same media player which would be the Chrome browser. They are .ogv files.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
It does sound like the video chip can`t handle the load, do you happen to know the brand and model name or number details of the motherboard please.

themoon

themoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I appreciate you sticking with me through this. I'd be hesitant to say it is the onboard video though... but maybe.

This is exactly what I got:
ASRock E350M1/USB3 AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD A50M Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157247

Edited by themoon, 13 February 2013 - 06:34 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Thanks for the MB details they confirmed that it was the same MB that I found.

If you check the Newegg feedback tab you will see that there are many complaints about the video chip and it`s poor video playback performance http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157247

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

themoon

themoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yep, you are right... others are having the same issue. Dang.

Do you think purchasing a dedicated graphics card would work?
If so, any recommendations for a cheap one, that can display 1080p and fit in this mobo? I believe it only has a 300watt supply too..

is this card ok?
http://www.newegg.co...rds)&Page=2#top

Edited by themoon, 15 February 2013 - 09:24 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
It would be unwise for me or anyone else to say that fitting an add on video card would resolve the issue, all that we can do is bring to your attention some limiting factors one of which is the present 300W PSU restricting your upgrade options, an example of this is the card at the Newegg link that you attached requires a PSU with a minimum of 400W output, also keep in mind that for good quality video playback a 256-bit video card would be best and a 128-bit card the minimum.

http://www.amd.com/u...overview.aspx#3

Can I ask what size case you have please - full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) this is also important as the SFF type cases will normally only accommodate low profile add on cards.