Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP install ISO can't see SSD

• Please log in to reply

townie2

townie2

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hi everyone. the background in a nutshell, the SATA HD in my Asus Eee 1005 HAB (upgraded to 2GB RAM) suddenly died with no warning, so i installed a 120GB SSD. i connected an external DVD drive and installed XP (legit) after changing BIOS boot order, seemed to go alright, but i had no internet access, LAN or WLAN, so i downloaded the drivers (LAN, WLAN, and chipset) from Asus onto a flashdrive and installed, got LAN working, networks showed on netbook, but wouldn't let me connect to it (Cisco M10 Valet running Tomato), it would try, but wouldn't even get as far as asking for the network password. i then decided to load an EaseUS Todo backup, but when it finished, it showed a command line sort of screen saying disk error: cannot read disk, press Ctrl+Alt+el (which i assume was Del, was the only one that did anything) to reboot, but it just kept rebooting to the same screen. next, i decided to just start again with another fresh XP install, but now XP doesn't see the SSD drive and won't install because it doesn't see any drive to install to. does anyone have any advice for me please, this is very frustrating,and i'm sort of techie challenged. thank you.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You said....

......so i installed a 120GB SSD. i connected an external DVD drive and installed XP (legit) after changing BIOS boot order

My question would be why you entitled your thread "WinXP install ISO can't see SSD" when in theory you used a normal working MS XP install disk?

Where did the ISO come from?

townie2

townie2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
computer repair tech gave it to me (Windows XP Home O.E.M.), since the original drive totally went i had no Factory Image, and no disk came with it, no DVD drive in it. he gave it to me to originally to put it on a flash and install from there, but i since bought an external DVD drive and used it. when i tried to reinstall, i got the message when running the XP disc, cannot find drive (ad lib) and showed Drives (0). the EasUS Backup i ran did say it would wipe everything on the drive, so i'm wondering if perhaps it wiped pre-installed drivers for the SSD? by legit, i just meant it's the real XP serial, not one of those bootleg, pirated, whatever you call it, illegal serials.

Edited by townie2, 13 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.

househeart

househeart

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
In the past I've had serious problems with internal disk drives and found that sometimes even an external disk drive would not read a dvdrom until after xp had already booted up. Is this happening to you? Hopefully someone on here will hope fullyknow an answerto this

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

computer repair tech gave it to me (Windows XP Home O.E.M.),

Can you please ask the "tech" what Service Pack this XP disk is?

townie2

townie2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i believe it was SP1, which updated to SP2 when i installed it (i could phone him and ask, but he closed his business and retired last year after having a heart attack,and he would come running in to help). the original install went fine (it "saw" the SSD) except for the LAN/WLAN, i think the EaseUS backup screwed it. if the backup were larger than the drive, would that screw it? i'm not sure if it was or not, but i would think some sort of warning would have popped up.
after the original install, i downloaded the the chipset, LAN, and WLAN drivers from Asus onto a flash and installed them, which gave me LAN only, which i used to update to SP2, but wanting WLAN, decided to try installing the EaseUS backup.

Edited by townie2, 14 February 2013 - 07:48 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I could have many questions on this issue but to ask them and receive answers that do not bear fruit would be pointless.

I suggest that you obtain a proper Microsoft XP SP3 disk and install that via the external optical drive that you have.

townie2

townie2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ok, thank you Wolfeymole, but i'm thinking it won't see the SSD either, but i'll try it. thanks again.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The reason why I say that it has to be SP3 is because from what I have read SSD drives are loosely based on SATA drives and before SP3 SATA drivers were NOT included in XP.

townie2

townie2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ok, i didn't know that, that makes sense, thanks.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're welcome. :)

Obtain what I have recommended, install it and then get back to us.

Forget about Easeus backup for the time being ok as we can look at that later.