Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer and Office, not sure if belongs here

• Please log in to reply

Laurnil

Laurnil

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Interwebs,

I have a problem and I'm not even sure it really belongs here, but I couldn't think of where else to put it. I'm attorney and I work in a 2-person firm. We don't have IT personnel and we have to do everything ourselves. Luckily, I know enough about computers to figure most things out. However, when something is is wrong and I can't fix it, it is usually a really weird, tricky problem to fix.

So, the background: We have an Epson Workforce 840 all-in-one printer (I like to call her the Face of Evil). It was here before me and my boss doesn't want to get rid of it until it is for sure dead. We cannot find the original software disk that came with the printer. It has two printing trays. I've been able to set it up to use tray 2 for copies, but I cannot for the life of me get it to print from the computer from the second tray. I've gone to the manufacturers website and downloaded the drivers for the printer. This helps inasmuch as I can now select black & white printing. (At this point, you are asking yourself why this insane woman is in the Microsoft office forum and the answer is I print documents from Word and I'm really sorry, but that's all I've got for you). So, I go to print. I select the printer. I hit preferences and it basically only allows me to select black and what or color and what size paper I'm using. All I want it to do is print from the second tray. I've done everything I can think of. I'm using Windows 8. I go to the start screen/menu (whatever they call it in the new OS) and go to printers and devices. I look through everything looking for something that will let me set a default paper tray. I'm at a total loss. It appears to me as if the computer doesn't even know that it is available. If anyone can please bestow their help upon me, I'd really appreciate it. I try to be educated about such things, but ultimately, I realize I'm a moron about a lot of things regarding computers. Help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Laurnil

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Have you tried going through the User's Guide? Other manuals available here. You should have been able to not only get the drivers, but the utilities that need to be installed for printer. Possibly Support knows where to get the original install CD or eBay may have one.