Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help installing Audio Driver

• Please log in to reply

16spike

16spike

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I recently upgraded to Windows 8 and I'm still trying to update all my drivers. I earlier found the correct Audio Driver that I needed but the files in the download came as just the files, no application to run them or anything. Nothing but how-to manually install them but those steps didn't work. And now they're just in a RAR file sitting on my desktop and I'm without a clue on how to update the Audio Driver. Can anyone help me? The Driver is SoundMax Integrated HD Audio 6.10

Advertisements

Tim_the_WIzard

Tim_the_WIzard

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Does your PC inform you that it is missing the audio drivers?
From your device manager (That's Windows Key + X) select Device Manager.
Expand the Sound, Video and game controllers section and let me know if there is a yellow alert there. You can also press the Action button at the top left and click Scan for Hardware changes to force a detection.

Objectively we are trying to get it to ask us for the location of the driver and you can point it to the extracted folder for those drivers.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

Please post the make and full model of the computer if branded eg Dell etc OR the make and full model of the motherboard for the integrated audio

additionally as the driver download is a rar file you will have to extract before you see the installation files

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 February 2013 - 03:50 PM.

16spike

16spike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No it does not, it shows the driver is working perfectly. But since the driver is not up to date it's been causing my system to crash a lot.

Attached Thumbnails

• Device manager..PNG

Edited by 16spike, 12 February 2013 - 04:03 PM.

16spike

16spike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hp Compaq 8510p, Windows 8 and I have already extracted the RAR file. That's how I found out there isn't any application to run the update files. Just instructions to manually update the driver which did-not work for me. He is the files after extraction

Attached Thumbnails

• Folder 2.PNG

Edited by 16spike, 12 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Be with you in a minute or two when I have checked - do you know if it is 32 or 64 bit windows 8

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.

Tim_the_WIzard

Tim_the_WIzard

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
I will step out and let the more experienced Macboatmaster help you.
I also found this link to download drivers for that model.

No worries, he will get you all sorted out.

Edited by Tim_the_WIzard, 12 February 2013 - 04:07 PM.

16spike

16spike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
32 bit

16spike

16spike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've already done that, and it says, "The best driver for your device is already installed" or something like that.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try this one

You may struggle, did that laptop pass the windows 8 upgrade check, as the HP site does not include it in its list of compatible for 8, as far as I can see

The package provides the installation files for SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio Driver version 6.10.1.5140.

In order to manually update your driver, follow the steps below (the next steps):

1. Go to Device Manager (right click on My Computer, choose Manage and then find Device Manager in the left panel)
2. Right click on the hardware device you wish to update and choose Update Driver Software
3. Choose to select the location of the new driver manually and browse to the folder where you downloaded the driver

http://drivers.softp...oad-186889.html

please ensure you are clicking on external mirror. When you have that downloaded and saved, go device manager, update driver but select I will choose and then as above.

If you do not do that windows will simply either tell you you have the latest or if you click uninstall driver it will reinstall the same.

16spike

16spike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That's what I've already done. Those manual install instructions did not work for me. And it said that the best driver for my device was already installed. That's why I'm on here trying to seek help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

That's why I'm on here trying to seek help.

Just lets be a little patient please and work together, with respect we know that you are here because you need help

When you click update driver software you then choose browse my computer - let me update software manually, then despite what windows says, you install the one I sent you

If that is the driver YOU have downloaded the one I offered you and you have installed THAT driver, then it is simply a matter of the incompatibility of that computer with Windows 8.

It is very likely that such matters as integrated audio integrated lan etc may never work correctly until you update chipset drivers and there are as far s I can see non available for that computer.

which takes me back to what I said earlier

You may struggle, did that laptop pass the windows 8 upgrade check, as the HP site does not include it in its list of compatible for 8, as far as I can see

The other possibility is go Control Panel devices and printers on the devices you will see your computer it will have your name on it, right click it, click device installations settings and click YES do this automatically, There is a CHANCE and it is slight that Microsoft will find it for you, from their links to the major manufacturers etc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 February 2013 - 04:42 PM.

16spike

16spike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, thanks for all your help. I really do appreciate it! Have a nice day! :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have now seen that the sound driver is shown as AMD

That computer as you know has the ATi AMD 2600 graphics GPU

Your computer has an HDMI connection if that is what you are using, rather than the laptop screen, then you are running audio across the bus via the 2600

Have you installed the Windows 8 driver for the 2600

http://support.amd.c...words=&items=20

If you are connected HDMI see if as below applies

The AMD High Definition Audio Device is not set as the default audio device

• For Windows Vista® and Windows® 7:
  • Open the Control Panel
  • Click on Sound
  • Under the Playback tab, left-click on the “Speakers” icon
  • Select “Set Default” for the AMD HDMI Output
Posted Image

appreciate it is for vista and 7 but could not find one for 8 = the image I mean

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 February 2013 - 09:11 AM.