Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gateway solo 3350

• Please log in to reply

rhutson

rhutson

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't have the external drive but have removed the he and have it in an external bay, any way to fix this error or boot from a thumb drive.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Run chkdsk /r against the drive in the external bay. See ifit finds and fixes any file system corruption. If so then put it back in the computer and see if it will boot.

rhutson

rhutson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, I'll try it and let you know. I'm using a windows 7 machine to do this, will that make any difference being the external drive has windows 2000 pro?

rhutson

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, chkdsk is the same.

The easiest way to do this is open a Elevated Command prompt then enter chkdsk x: /r, where x: is the letter assigned to the drive in the external enclosure.

rhutson

rhutson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well it says there were no problems, I have win 2000 on cd, I would like to see if I can make it bootable from a thumb drive since there aren't any disk or floppy drives for the machine. Not sure this machine will do it being so old?

Thanks for the help, rhutson

rhutson

rhutson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, I had the I.T. guy at work look at the drive and he says the space that shows as being used isn't big enough for an op sys so it looks like a formatted drive with no op sys installed. I'll have to either find an external drive made for a solo 3350 with the funky long skinny connector or if I can get it to boot from USB and I'm not sure it will even do it, in the set up menu I don't see the option?

Thanks

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I'll guarantee that an option to boot from USB on a machine of that age will not exist.

Sorry to interrupt Ztruker.