Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't use keyboard during system bootup

• Please log in to reply

pineapplespple

pineapplespple

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey all,

I did a hard shutdown of my computer while it was in hibernate and when I turned it on again, got the 'unable to resume from prior location' blah blah. My keyboard won't work for selecting any options at that menu or boot-up. My computer doesn't have a PS2 port and the problem persists after reseting my CMOS battery.

Any help that can be provided would be wonderful.

Advertisements

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hello

So i am assuming you have an USB keyboard...Try this...un-plug your USB keyboard,re-boot...wait for your PC to totally boot up, then plug your keyboard back in and see if your PC recognizes then..You may want to even try a different USB port to..

Edited by Veeg, 13 February 2013 - 10:05 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
pineapplespple

Welcome to Geeks to Go

My keyboard won't work for selecting any options at that menu or boot-up

I appreciate you say - or at boot - after first post screen will it allow you to enter BIOS setup

If so see if you have there enable legacy usb

If you cannot get in to that or to F8 advanced startup and then repair your computer, you will have to obtain, if you do not have it, the windows 7? disc and try a boot from that

It would be helpful if you could post the full details of the computer make and full model if branded eg Dell Inspiron etc

and confirm please the Operating system in full eg Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional etc.

The other approach maybe a chkdsk but I can advise you further when I have some details

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 February 2013 - 10:37 AM.

pineapplespple

pineapplespple

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey guys,

I've tried Veeg's suggestion before coming here to no avail.

@MBM: The exact sequence of events is as thus:

Menu comes up (f10 =, esc = etc), then switches to a Windows Resume Loader with this error message:

The last attempt to resume the system from its previous location failed. Attempt to resume again? (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice)
Continue with system resme
Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu

So the next step is getting a copy of Windows7? I don't believe I have the one that came with this computer, if at all.

Computer is a HP Pavilion p7-1020. OS is Windows 7 Home, not sure if it's anything besides that.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thks or replying

Please appreciate that I cannot see what is happening

When the computer first posts - that is power on self test

and you say the menu comes up F10 etc

if you have at that stage a keyboard, and from waht I think you are saying yo do not, immediately the computer boots keep tapping F8

If you cannot use the keyboard at all, then you will have to see if you can get the disc or if you are able take out the hard drive connect it USB or internally to another computer and run a chkdsk on it.

I will post further when I have had a look at the HP

Is this the computer please if so it came with Home Premium 64 bit

http://h20000.www2.h...rodTypeId=12454

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 February 2013 - 01:12 PM.

pineapplespple

pineapplespple

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That looks like it. The OS was Windows 7 64-bit but I'm not sure if it was Home Premium. I will try f8 in a few minutes and edit with results.

I have no experience with removing HDs. I am posting this from my laptop so I could probably do that, but would rather not until we need to

F8 did nothing, not that either of us expected it to :) The keyboard is plugged in but simply not working. It's usb and I'm using it with my laptop ATM.

Edited by pineapplespple, 13 February 2013 - 01:34 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK I have had a look for you and the situation is as I thought please see this

http://h20000.www2.h...884928_detected

It is either on the

F10 - setup to enter BIOS or it is F8 as I said, or the remove hard drive.

Step 3: Use standard steps to resolve most startup problemsPerform the following steps to determine if the hard drive is being detected in the BIOS:
  • Remove any media from the floppy drives, CD/DVD drives, USB ports, and memory card reader slots, and disconnect all non-essential devices (printers, scanners, external hard drives, and similar). Leave only the keyboard, mouse, and monitor connected to the computer.
  • Turn on the computer, and then press the F10 key repeatedly at the first screen to open the BIOS Setup tool.
  • Verify that a hard drive name is listed from the main screen.Figure 1: Example of a hard drive name listed in the BIOS (Western Digital) Posted Image
  • If the hard drive name is listed, exit the BIOS without saving any changes, and then continue with the steps in the Hard drive detected section.
  • If the hard drive name is missing, or the text Auto or None is listed, exit the BIOS without saving any changes, and then continue with the steps in the Hard Drive is not detected section.
Hard drive is detected Use the following procedure to repair the file system on the hard drive:
  • Turn off the computer and wait at least 5 seconds with the computer in a full off state.
  • Turn on the computer and press the F8 key repeatedly as the computer starts.An "Advanced Boot Options" screen opens if the system partition on the hard drive is still good. NOTE: If the "Advanced Boot Options" screen does not open, use a recovery disc. Insert the first recovery disc into the drive and turn on the computer. From the Recovery Manager main screen, select Advanced Options , and select Microsoft Startup Repair , and click Next . Skip to step 8.
  • Select Repair Your Computer and press Enter .

There may be another way do you have on the computer you are on now the means to burn a DVD

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 February 2013 - 01:43 PM.

pineapplespple

pineapplespple

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm not sure, what do I need? This laptop does have a DVD drive.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You need a computer which will burn a dvd - so the laptop is out of the equation

Have you had chance to look at the link I sent it is your computer, that is on my post 5

Then from there have you tried to see if you can get any progress on the info in my 7.

What has occurred is that when you placed the computer in hibernation and then forced the shutdown, the data being saved for hibernation has been corrupted and hence it is not going any where until we can get either into setup to confirm it is seeing the drive and enable legacy usb should then get you a keyboard, or we are going in through a disc, but that needs you to burn this DVD and there are no guarantees that it will work but it is certainly worth the try

OR as I said you are removing the hard drive and connecting it to another computer to run a chkdsk

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 February 2013 - 02:09 PM.

pineapplespple

pineapplespple

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I just checked and my DVD drive is DVD-RW, which should burn, right?

If it does burn can I format and use a game DVD for it?

If I can't I will go ahead and remove the harddrive.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try this - if you have not already

Reset the keyboard
  • Shut down the computer (do not restart).
  • With the computer fully off, disconnect all devices connected to the computer except for the monitor
  • Reconnect the keyboard. For USB keyboards, connect the keyboard into a USB connector on the back of the computer that was not previously used.
  • With only the Keyboard and monitor connected, turn on the computer
your last was not visible when I was copying pasting this

I will post again with what to do for the dvd you are going to make but please try the above first

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 February 2013 - 02:18 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Download this to the other computer

http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-58997.iso

It is an ISO file - now that will burn using Windows 7 inbuilt ISO burner if the laptop is NOT 7 use this program it is free it will burn the ISO - you cannot use an ordinary burning program to make an ISO image disc

http://www.terabyteu...ds/burncdcc.zip

You are downloading the free BurnCDCC

http://www.terabyteu...ee-software.htm

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 February 2013 - 02:26 PM.

pineapplespple

pineapplespple

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am confused why that worked (reconnecting keyboard to different port), but it did (though I am using a different keyboard for it). I am now sitting in BIOS setup, what is my next step?=

Edited by pineapplespple, 13 February 2013 - 02:43 PM.

pineapplespple

pineapplespple

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Pressing F8 while in POST still brings me to Windows Resume Loader - should I continue with system resume, or delete restoration data?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Just come back after a 15 minute break - the reason it worked is that it reset the usb on that port for the keyboard, however although you can say thank you - :lol: :lol: please do not get too excited we are a long way from home yet

YES continue with resume

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 February 2013 - 04:40 PM.