Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External Hard Drive Did Something Undesirable

• Please log in to reply

JKOR72

JKOR72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Did this new partition erase my files and folders?

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
No mate.

Let me try and explain a few things ok, when a person gets a new PC these days from someone like Dell or Gateway for that matter, that person does not get an Operating System disk and the onus is on the person to make them, these are called Back To Factory Recovery disks and can be used if for example your hard drive dies.

Backup and Recovery however, found in Control Panel, is a completely different animal and it looks to me like Windows 8 has backed up your files and even perhaps a system image to that D: drive.

Your files are on the main C: drive and a copy will of those will or should exist on the D: drive also.

The spare space in the newly made partition can be used for anything.

If you're confused over anything then please let me know.

JKOR72

JKOR72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm concerned that I lost my files and folders from the external where I just created the new partition. I can't seem to get the files or folders. I'm sure you're banging your head against the wall helping me. I think I'm just in serious panic mode because these files that were on my external I can't get to.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
On the external you have the D: drive labelled as Recovery and you had an Unallocated partition.

Nothing at all was on the Unallocated partition so logic dictates that a copy has been made on the Recovery Drive.

All your main files will still reside on Disk 0 in the C: drive.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Where does Easeus say your files are?

JKOR72

JKOR72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ran it before our chat, was in RECOVERY D:. Running it now, finding files in NEW VOLUME E:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Please show me another screen shot of Disk Management but this time pull the horizontal divider up so that I can see all drives listed and just what is going on here.

JKOR72

JKOR72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (6).png

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I swear to God I don't know what you are looking at mate but there are no files on E:

The 0.22 discrepancy is just a tiny file that Windows needs to identify the drive, just ignore that.

Are you happy that the files you thought you had lost are in fact on the D: drive my friend?

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi wolfeymole,

I think what happened was windows quick formatted his external drive to use as a recovery partition. This "got rid" of all the files he had on his external drive. However, they are still there, but the file structure is gone. I think there should be some way to get them back.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You are quite correct in your first assumption Buddierdl, however it did so with the OP's permission thus;

As I was starting it up for the first time, I plugged in my FlexDrive. PC asked if I wanted to use the drive as recovery. I clicked yes in my stupidity.

The initial state of the OP's PC was very similar to a new laptop (even though we know it to be a desktop) because of the fact that there was no dedicated partition to make a backup to.

The ONLY Recovery aspect on Drive 0 is in fact the back to factory partition that is set at the very right as shown in disk management.

This "got rid" of all the files he had on his external drive. However, they are still there, but the file structure is gone. I think there should be some way to get them back.

Before Win 8 decided to make the partition, with the OP's permission, there were no files on disk 1 whatsoever and the whole drive would have been unallocated space.

Easeus quite rightly showed that the files in question were indeed in the Recovery entitled drive D: on disk 1.

So all is well with the world and the very last thing that needs to be done, should JKOR72 read this again, is to make some back to factory recovery disks unless he has already done so.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
I had read that the OP had accidentally allowed Drive 1 to be used as a recovery partition (a mistake) and that it had files and folders on it already that he wanted to keep.

How do I get it back to 1.5 TB with all my files and folders?

I backed up my personal folders onto the external because I was in need of a new PC

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If allowing Win 8 to make a Recovery partition on Disk 1 was a mistake then where would the OP make a Recovery partition without resizing disk 0?

If he chose to do that then that would be a mistake because if the drive 0 died then all backups are gone.

To my mind the OP was confused as to where the files actually were and as Easeus pointed out they were in fact on the Recovery partition.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
What happened here is JKOR72 unintentionally allowed his external drive to be repartitioned, thus lost all saved files/folders.

He then should have used a partition or data recovery software to see what could be salvaged before making any partitions.

If he has not added anymore files or folders to the external I would first run data recovery, the recovered files should go to a different place ie not the external drive if he has sufficient room.

Then try partition recovery software, to recover the original partitions as some of these external drives have their own software programs on them.

Some data recovery software will mark the found files as 100% recoverable or not.

He maybe lucky to recover all or most files.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You have obviously not read the full thread correctly Peter.