Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Optiplex GX270 only partially boots up

• Please log in to reply

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Dell Optiplex GX270 only partially boots up. It will start the boot, i.e., the little squares running across the screen, but never go further. [[note, all memory was changed out, and all power supply connections checked, new battery installed-old was low]] Any ideas?

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What happens after the initial boot up, does it shut down, stay as it is, offer any error messages etc?

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Tech Staff

Situation has changed, now it will NOT even go to partial boot, but gives an error message HDsk checkpoint. Apparently indicating this is where it stops. Any ideas?

[[note, I have checked the hardrive in it in another computer of my wife's and it works fine, so I know it is not the HD.]]

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Tech Staff

After over an hour, the computer finally booted up, but then when I shut down it would not come up, but did not give the HDsk checkpoint warning. This unit seems to keep changing while not working.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
To me I would run a giagnostic on your hard drive, download the bootable program of your hd at http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html once downloaded burn it and test your hd

If you can't burn the bootable image of the diagnostic program download Image Burn and once installed burn the ISO image to a cd/rw

Once burned, go into your BIOS and choose your CD/DVD-rom as your first boot or press F8 to bring the BOOT Menu and choose your cd/dvd rom as the boot.

Edited by Alzeimer, 15 February 2013 - 11:40 PM.

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Alzeimer

The HD is a Maxtor and I will use the Seagate tool Thanks for information source, I shall save it for permanent reference.

[do not worry about language mistakes, I make them all the time as English is not my native language]

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Everyone

The computer will now boot up and I have been able to get on the internet with it, but it still has problems as follows. The indicator sticks from time to time and it takes a very long time to boot up. I will be checking the HD tomorrow with Seagate SeaTools. If anyone knows of a free program to do an overall test on the unit, let me know. Also, if you have any other suggestions. Thanks.

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Everyone

The unit now boots up fairly well, but now does not recognize the two optical drives. I have checked the drives out in another computer and both function very well. Any ideas? [[note cable has also been checked out in another computer and function perfectly]]

I did make one repair today to the power supply as the fan stopped and I replaced it with an identical unit.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Download the basic version (free) of CPUID HWMonitor 1.21 and verify the voltage of your Power Supply

http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Do a print Screen and save it (open PAINT and press Ctrl+v) as a jpg and attach it to your next post