Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

First time build Computer

• Please log in to reply

ShyWillow

ShyWillow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I decided to seek the bios info on all three boards you listed earlier, I still like the cheaper board. Thought it would keep me from having to bug ASUS support staff again if the cheaper board came with an older bios. Still waiting on support from ASUS... My computer fund is on hold for awhile.. We are getting another rescue in this weekend and depending upon what all it needs and how much the vet and blacksmith charge. I might not have anything left.

I was going by the ASUS specifications page that shows an amd motherboard with 3.0 PCIe support. Witch shows Supports AM3+ 32 nm CPU... I didn't know Gen3 was an Intel thing. Does that mean the whole thing ASUS has on there website about the sabertooth 990FX/gen3 R2.0 is completely fake?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,753 posts

Does that mean the whole thing ASUS has on there website about the sabertooth 990FX/gen3 R2.0 is completely fake?

No, The information is true and the product is excellent.
Sorry if I made you doubt the veracity of the Asus information. I was just pointing out that Intel 3rd Generation is their platform naming and Asus are using Gen3 when referring to the AMD platform.

I hope the rescue only needs a good feed and grooming.

ShyWillow

ShyWillow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Feeding will help but she was abused and then abandon to the wilds.. I wont go into the details of it all, but she has many scars, a deep fear of people, and is blind in one eye. It will take awhile for her to get over her fears.. Grooming well it wont be done for awhile, from what I have been told she strikes out to hurt you before you can get close to her.. I will have to wait and see for myself as the rescue it comes from, well they are afraid of horses like that.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,753 posts
To keep us, on topic, (and as many may not be interested in farming) I will carry on that conversion by PM, but please post here if build delayed or any other questions.

Thanks.

ShyWillow

ShyWillow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have had so many questions come and go. So many things saying one thing about amd/intel nvida/radeon.. different chip sets.. Some say they are great others say they suck and the ever consuming battle of who is best.. How does one find the truth of the matter.. oh and the marketing b/s doesn't help either v.v

Several places I have read that the 2600MHz Hyper Transport (5200 MT/s) witch is the highest amd boards come with will hold back a AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0 GHz processor.. Something about hyper transport not being able to keep up with a processor that fast?, yet I have read in other information where they claim differently.

It gets even worse reading and researching into the different video cards and while I think I picked a good card.. >.< there is so much conflicting data out there I find myself 2nd guessing. Did I pick an ok video card? or could I do better for the money?

Are all integrated lan/eithernet the same? Are some better for gaming than others? Should I look into expanding to a PCIe for internet. Is it true some integrated chip sets for ethernet return less latency in mmo games?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,753 posts
It's all about configuring a build for the budget you have available and getting the parts as balanced as possible. There is a lot of marketing b,s. and opinions from ill informed people, lots of braggers. best information comes from review sited like Tom's Hardware and the like. Most of the main manufacturers of parts are all very similar in performance. There is always going to be a better part than the one you have. In this segment of the market, gaming, enthusiast video/photo editing, Whether you use Intel or AMD, with a balanced build, there will not be a huge difference in performance.
We could easily configure a top end gaming machine for $2000. the challenge is to get as close to that performance spending only $1000. it won't be as good, but you can trust that G2G members will do the best they can for you.

Are all integrated lan/eithernet the same?

Nearly, probable only see the differenced in benchmarks and once you get onto the internet, you have no control.

Should I look into expanding to a PCIe for internet.

Big NO.

Is it true some integrated chip sets for ethernet return less latency in mmo games?

Yes, but not measurable to you or me.
For the most stable configuration with the least amount of latency, wired Mouse, Keyboard and Ethernet cable to your Router, then if you can get it, Fibre optics from your house.