Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Legal?

• Please log in to reply

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Is www.garageband.com legal? It looked really cool and I registered an account with them but i'm afraid to do anything with it since i wasn't sure of the legality of it. I find it hard to believe that those mp3 downloads are legal. Anyone know?

Thanks,
MR0624

Advertisements

DeviousTrap

DeviousTrap

systems administrator

• Community Leader
  • 5,649 posts
Should be legal. I went to the site and they feature independant bands, so the music should not be legally copyrighted.

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
This is cool MR0624, I wouldn't stress at all. It looks like something similar to other sites like myspace for example. A good way for kids playing in their garages to get their stuff heard. And like they say:

Our advisory board includes dozens of world-class producers behind stars like U2, Dave Matthews, the Beatles, and many more.

Industry heavy-weights like these aren't likely to be involved with something illegal I'm guessing. ^_^

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
thanks..there are still a few bands that I think have copyrighted stuff on there though. But the person who told me about it is totally against illegal music downloading so i'm pretty sure it's safe. Thanks for your comments! :tazz:

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Art,of any kind is meant to be enjoyed by the masses.If a band and their producers or a painter and their endowments don't want to share their talents then THEY SHOULD STAY OUT OF THE PUBLICS' EYE!I mean come on,shouldn't I have to sign a waiver if they want to use a picture of me running a red light in court?I'msorry fellas(and gals) but this free exchange of ideas and creativity on the internet may be the last bastion of freedom!Clog the system! Burn anything you want.If we all had to appear in the courts there wouild be a virtual standstill of the injustice system.Sorry to be preachy but I remember when black flag couldn't even use their own name to generate income,buch like the artist formerly called what's his name.Lawyers,producers and distributors make all the money,not the bands.And marketing geniuses?telling us who to like and telling the bands/artists what will sell?Come on...make a stand.