Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New laptop want to switch to SSD's

• Please log in to reply

woodrow896

woodrow896

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi

Buying a new HP dv6t-7300 SATA 3 laptop i7 3740qm 2.7GHz processor and want to instal an SSD or maybe 2 of them.

I have a Intel 520 in a i7 machine now and it works well...fast. I am no expert but seem to get by and need to get educated a little.

What would be the fastest most reliable 120 GB SSD's out there ?...Might as well optimize this machine. I really do not need more than 120 GB but if bigger is faster with SSD's then why not.
If I set 2 ssd's up in raid for speed...how much quicker should I expect it to perform ? Would the difference between 1 and 2 drives show up in CrysalDiscMark ?

Thanks

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I'm sorry if I'm missing something here Woodrow but how do you propose to install two hard drives, SSD or not?

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Now I realize the dv6 may not or does not have 2 bays so I am screwed.....dang. I was under the impression that is had 2 bays from the salesman. Dang.

EDIT Ok I called and swapped it out for a DV7 so I am back in business again. Sorry for my stupidity. Part of the learning curve I guess. I am sure there are more mistakes to be made !

Thanks

Edited by woodrow896, 16 February 2013 - 06:48 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're welcome. :thumbsup:

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I was looking at this 120gb RAID 0 review of the Intel 520 120GB and seems like they would work for me if they are reliable...I guess while I am learning I don't need to put 5-600 bucks into larger drives for a little extra gain. This review answered some of my questions. The 520 single 120gb I have had now going on a year seems fine and makes for a decent score on crystaldiskmark.
Any other suggestions ?
http://www.rwlabs.co...19&pagenumber=5

Thanks

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Woodrow can I ask a question and please do not think that I am trying to insult your intelligence.

What is this primary concern with a RAID aspect when, seemingly, you were not aware of how many hard drive bays there were on the laptop in question?

The Salesman needs firing as far as I am concerned.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
No problem. I am trying to get somewhat educated and am unfamiliar with RAID setups in laptops...or any RAID setup for that matter because I really do not need it for anything other than I am at the point of being curios as to how fast I can make this new machine go..Probably will get my education the hard way it looks like. I appreciate the patience of you good folks and will try to get a handle on it.
Thanks

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Click Specs in the link below.

In this list of options from HP which did you chose or did you buy it as a pre-configured box?

http://www.shopping....ion-Notebook-PC

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
That's the one...Lets see... it was a custom and I ordered the GT 650M with the 3740 processor. 9 cell battery and the basic 750 HD.
Probably should have got the better screen but I am not big into games or movies. I realize the video card is probably overkill/mistake.
In fact the processor is overkill for my actual needs.
STD DVD burner and 8G ram. Backlit keyboard. They gave me 100 bucks off on it. I had real good luck with HP service on my existing laptop.
My HD died a month into it at noon one day and they overnighted one to me and by 4 30 the next day I was up and running.
This is what I will have to work with so it would be fun to play around. I am open to any suggestions.
Thanks

Edited by woodrow896, 16 February 2013 - 10:12 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What might have been better, depending on your wallet, would have been the 750GB 7200RPM HDD and 16GB of memory.

The upside is that you have 3 x USB 3 sockets on board but that doesn't make any difference to the overall speed but is great for future-proofing on modern external HDD's

If you want to obtain an SSD then do so but the question remains; "How fast is fast"?

In 2 years your laptop will not be state of the art any more.

Advertisements

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I will go with the SSD's for the heck of it. I noticed my virus scans were up to 4 times faster with one 520 120gb on my existing. I have not had much luck with hard drives living and I back everything up often. I also had 2 Intel 510 ssd's fail for no good reason as well all covered by warranty promptly.
The 520 has been great.
I am skeptical of using windows 8 and am wondering if I can put in the SSD out of my HP dv6 with win 7 and the 2630 i7? I am hoping it would automatically update the drivers. Would the win 7 allow the machine change or would microsoft force me to buy another copy?
Thanks

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

........and am wondering if I can put in the SSD out of my HP dv6 with win 7 and the 2630 i7?

I am uncertain what you mean mate.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Take it out of the year old machine and put it into the new one.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok

Well again I am assuming that the old drive will have an operating system on it and if it has and you put that drive into a new machine then you will get hardware mismatch errors.

You would have to reinstall Windows 7 via the back to factory recovery disks to alleviate this aspect.

If you have not made any then this is not a good route to contemplate.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I was thinking that just maybe it would automatically update the drivers being the machines are very similar...
That would probably end up to be a can of worms. I would rather have win 7 only because I am unsure of what the changes
and associated grief level will be with win 8.
I also have a device that is for XP and it seemed to work with win 7 . I have win 7 pro but oddly the device I am talking about would not work in XP mode. It is an eprom programmer. I really need that to work and if I could get around buying a copy of win 7 that would be great. .