Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New laptop want to switch to SSD's

• Please log in to reply

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Can we get back to the main issue here Woodrow please rather than discuss XP or EPROM tangents.

You have an HP laptop that contains tools to make back to factory disks should you have issues with the operating system or the hard drive dies.

Have you made any yet?

Advertisements

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Yes I have disks

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
And they were made by yourself via the HP Tools on the laptop, would this be correct?

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
HP sent me disks to load the operating system on my replacement hard drive last summer.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I also did create a bootable repair disk but never tried it. I don't remember where I made it from.

Edited by woodrow896, 16 February 2013 - 11:47 AM.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
If I were to load the win7 operating system disks that I have into the new computer would I encounter a problem running the same operating system with the same key on 2 different computers?

Edited by woodrow896, 16 February 2013 - 11:50 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok

My suggestion would be that you stick with the basic HDD or upgrade it to the 7200rpm even though you say you don't want a lot of space rather than go with a 120GB SSD.

You'll be amazed just how fast you will run out of space and then what will you do?

I have a 500GB internal SATA + 3 externals @ 1 x 500GB, 1 x 1TB and 1 x 160GB.

The choice is yours Woodrow.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thank you I appreciate your advice.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You seem to be saying that this new laptop does not have an operating system or have you actually bought it yet?

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I ordered it and it comes with win 8. I would rather have win 7. In fact I would rather use a clone of what I have if I can gather the drivers and make the hardware work..I am in a little over my head but have to start somewhere. I have never been afraid to try even if I fail. I have backups of my important data.
Thanks

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I see, well in that case you will have to obtain a Windows 7 unbranded OEM and install that as you cannot use an OEM that has been previously installed on your older machine as it is against the Microsoft EULA.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004Q0PT3I

Personally I hate Windows 8 also but that's just me.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I will see if I can connect to my XP eprom machine using win 8 and if not I will have to go with the off the shelf win 7 as you suggest as the best thing to do.
I appreciate the advice.
Actually I liked XP best of all..It ran great for me...I cannot access an old hard drive via USB in win 7 without every stinking file I open I have to give it administrative permissions ...what a frickin pain in the a** and I cannot get rid of that.

Oh well...

I will consider the larger drive as per your suggestion but SSD is the way to go for me. NO more defrags and no more waiting for virus scans that used to take forever. The prices are really coming down I notice. About 150 bucks cheaper now for the 520 than the 510 was a year and a half ago.

Thanks !

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Good luck in your endeavours Woodrow. :thumbsup:

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I am sure this will have me up against the ropes a few times but I won't give up.
Eventually something good might happen LOL !!
:blink:

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

What would be the fastest most reliable 120 GB SSD's out there ?...Might as well optimize this machine. I really do not need more than 120 GB but if bigger is faster with SSD's then why not.
If I set 2 ssd's up in raid for speed...how much quicker should I expect it to perform ?

Thanks

If the controller on the motherboard allows you to configure two SSDs in RAID 0, you can expect nearly twice the read and write performance of a single Intel 520 SSD. That said, I'm using a single 240GB Intel 520 in this laptop, and it's pretty fast, with the exception of moving large compressed files. This is a limitation of the Sandforce controller.

NB: RAID 0 offers no fault tolerance, so if you value your data, you should plan on making frequent incremental or differential backups.