Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me pretty please!

• Please log in to reply

Phamiltonn82

Phamiltonn82

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
So I'm in the process of building a computer and I have a major problem and I desperately need help from you guys because you know 100% more than I do. First, here are the specs of my system:

Processor: i5 3570k
Video card: GTX 670 FTW (2gb)
Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 8gb DDR3 1866 PC 14900
PSU: Corsair TX 850w
Harddrive: Samsung SSD 120gb

I put everything together the first time around and when I plugged it in and went to power it nothing turned on but the power button on the actual motherboard itself. No fans turned on or no other lights came on at all. I felt defeated it really sucked. So I have a second pair of eyes look at it in the form of one of my good customers who happens to own a computer shop and he said that the wiring was perfect but the motherboard had a faulty atx connector to where when it was wiggled the power light on the motherboard flickered on and off. He recommended I replace the damaged motherboard for a new one in which I did. So I go back home take everything apart go back to Microcenter to replace the motherboard with a new one and put everything together once again only to plug in in and power it up to absolutely nothing again.

Can anyone please help me out? I have no clue what to try. I read the motherboard and it turned out that it didn't support the type of memory I had (1866) but I was told that I can change the BIOS to change the setting to support it but I cant even get the thing to turn on.

Thanks for anyone that can offer any advice or recommendations.

Advertisements

Phamiltonn82

Phamiltonn82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Oh I'm sorry I forgot about the motherboard, its a GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. I knew I forgot something

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
This sounds like a grounding problem...A sure way to check your components,is to take your hardware out of your case,re-assemble on a non-conductive counter top..power up..if you have no issues then check for grounding in the case,make sure your stand offs are correctly setup... If you have an issue out of the case then you have a piece of hardware that isn't working correctly..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Phamiltonn82

Is the Ram you have a single 8GB stick or 2 X 4GB sticks.

Before you do the barebones set up suggested by Veeg check the following, remove the add on video card and see if the computer will function when you are using the MBs integrated video chip, if no joy try leaving the add on video card out but this time also remove the Ram, the computer obviously will not complete POST we are checking for any change that may come about, if you can get one locally I suggest that you purchase a BIOS speaker and connect it to the front panel header on the MB, this will allow you to hear any error beeps that may be given out when you power up the computer without any Ram fitted (see attachment below)

My canned text for a barebones set up;

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad.

Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins

Worse case scenario is that the CPU is bad so you may have to check it for bent or missing pins.

Phamiltonn82

Phamiltonn82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
First off, thank you guys for helping me I really appreciate it.

Veeg: Okay I will try taking all the hardware out and powering it on outside of the case. I don't have any cardboard handy is it okay if I do it on a hardwood floor? I have the standoffs screwed into the holes on the motherboard. There were 9 total.

PhilPower: I have 2 sticks of 4gb each. I will try what you recommended and try powering it up minus the add on video card to see if that'll help solve the issue. Then I will try it with both the video card and the RAM out. I will also purchase the BIOS speaker when I go back to Microcenter at some point today.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Having checked the memory support tab for the MB I noted that DDR3 1866 4GB modules have been tested and approved http://download.giga...a-z77x-ud3h.pdf

I will look out for an update from you when you are ready.

Phamiltonn82

Phamiltonn82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Phillpower: Okay I attempted to power it on without the memory card and still nothing. I get the power light on the actual motherboard, but nothing else at all no fans no sound no nothing. I also tried it with the memory out and still nothing. I'm so confused I spent a decent amount on this build ($1600) and for it not to even turn on is quite depressing

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Are the 24 pin, the 8 pin 12V ATX and CPU fan all connected to the headers on the MB, if they are first remove and check that the PSU functions

I understand your frustration BTW :(

Phamiltonn82

Phamiltonn82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Okay I made a little progress!!!! So I took the motherboard out of the case and only plugged in the the 8 pin CPU connector along with the 24 pin ATX connector along with the P+ and P- LED switch, the reset and power switch and the HD activity LED and it actually powered on the and the fans came on and the board itself had some lights on it but it would be on with the fans turning then stop then go on again. While this was going on the numbers 53 and 15 came on the motherboard.

I feel like I'm so close now. Is there I can do to fix it??????

Phamiltonn82

Phamiltonn82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Another quick update. I looked up the two codes that showed on the motherboard (15 and 53) and it looked like it was memory related so I put in the two memory cards and powered it up and still the same thing with the fans (cpu fan included) would turn on for a second then turn off, turn on again and then turn off.

Should I try something else??

Advertisements

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Yes any card board would do,but since you have already proceeded to testing the part outside the case nevermind...:)

Just how old is your PSU and can you use another PSU while you have your parts out to test this issue option?

Phamiltonn82

Phamiltonn82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
My PSU is brand new from NewEgg. I unfortunately don't have another PSU to use. It's so weird it turns on, gives me the code 15 then 53 and then the CPU and other fans start going then stop, start going again, then stop. So weird and equally frustrating :( Should I hook up the monitor, power it up while still outside the case, try to get into BIOS and change the BIOS setting to read the 1866 PC 14900 RAM I have in it???

I'm desperate for anything at this point

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
As I pointed out in my reply #6 G-Skill DDR3 1866 14900 4GB sticks of Ram has been tested and approved for your MB, the Ram itself could be bad but so could the DIMM slots on the MB be.

Test the PSU like in the video and in case of a bad MB setting clear the CMOS by removing the MBs CR2032 battery as detailed in the attachment below;

Phamiltonn82

Phamiltonn82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Okay guys I made the ultimate progress thanks to you!!!! So I have the motherboard out of the case and on a piece of cardboard with the video card, 1 4gb memory stick, the monitor, and my usb stick to have use of my keyboard and mouse and the cpu and other fans are on and staying on!!! The issue now though is because I took the CMOS battery out I'm on a screen where it says "BIOS has been reset-please decide how to continue and then it gives me the options of "Load optimized defaults then boot" or "Load optimized defaults then reboot" and "enter BIOS"

Any clue as to how I should proceed??? Everything is running and it sounds nice and quiet too!! :D And also what should I do about the whole motherboard not working once its in the case issue????

THanks again guys, you're awesome!!!!

Phamiltonn82

Phamiltonn82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Oh and also the board is showing error code 64 which when I looked in the manual meant CPU DXE initialization is started. No clue what that means lol