Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Optiplex 280

• Please log in to reply

outback_2007

outback_2007

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm trying to help a friend with his OptiPlex 280.

He bought some ram a while back, 1gb X 2 and I installed that for him. And all was fine.
Latter he bought 2 more sticks of 1GB each. And he installed them himself. And could not get the pc too boot any more. So He came and got me. I checked the pc, and all it would do is beep 1-3-2 this is a memory error.

I took all ram out, and put back the two original sticks that it was working with before. No joy same beeps. I also tried the other two newly bought sticks of dell ram that is supposed to work in this pc for sure. Also same error code. I have tried 1 stick in slot 1 same thing. I have done everything correctly. I've worked on many pc's and never had this much trouble. He did break one of the catch's off the battery trying to replace the battery, but the battery still stays latched. I did not actually check the new battery voltage. It may have been bad. Also is their any possibility of it being cpu related not being seated good? Or needs new paste? Also the pc will give the same beep code with no ram installed. And sometimes the fan runs at a screaming turbo pace, and gradually slows down. That's about all I know right off. I don't have access to the pc now, I'm home. But may have to go back and work on it again if anyone has some idea what might be the problem.

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello outback_2007

Sorry but unless I have overlooked it I don`t see a 1-3-2 error beep code on the list http://support.dell....2.htm#wp1114896

What do the diagnostic LEDs show.

Is an add on video card fitted or the onboard video chip in use as both can have VRam issues which would give out the same error beeps as bad Ram as could a MB problem such as a damaged memory slot.

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I didn't see, or pay attention to any leds. I just listened to the error beeps. The error code is in between two numbers. It is for sure memory error. No add-on video just integrated.

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

I'm trying to help a friend with his OptiPlex 280.

He bought some ram a while back, 1gb X 2 and I installed that for him. And all was fine.
Latter he bought 2 more sticks of 1GB each. And he installed them himself. And could not get the pc too boot any more. So He came and got me. I checked the pc, and all it would do is beep 1-3-2 this is a memory error.

I took all ram out, and put back the two original sticks that it was working with before. No joy same beeps. I also tried the other two newly bought sticks of dell ram that is supposed to work in this pc for sure. Also same error code. I have tried 1 stick in slot 1 same thing. I have done everything correctly. I've worked on many pc's and never had this much trouble. He did break one of the catch's off the battery trying to replace the battery, but the battery still stays latched. I did not actually check the new battery voltage. It may have been bad. Also is their any possibility of it being cpu related not being seated good? Or needs new paste? Also the pc will give the same beep code with no ram installed. And sometimes the fan runs at a screaming turbo pace, and gradually slows down. That's about all I know right off. I don't have access to the pc now, I'm home. But may have to go back and work on it again if anyone has some idea what might be the problem.

Thanks

I have several of 260's and 270's...you will need to make sure that the ram is low density,non ecc ram or it will not work...Does it take DDR 2100,2700 or 3200?

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I don't have access to the pc or ram right now. But the ram that was in and working fine before will no longer work after adding two more sticks to dell ram which is the correct kind for the machine. My friend bought the ram off e-bay and the listing said it was for this pc. So my question is why did the first 2gb work, then stopped working after adding the other two sticks. I have removed the last two sticks and only installed the first two that worked, not they don't. I'll try and find out the exact ram specks tomarrow.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Can you also check the LEDs for us.